Tamesis Club

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

New information, particularly that concerning Covid-19 related requirements, will be on the Noticeboard and, at the start of each Tammy Matters, I will alert you to any additions or changes in the Notices or the Red Banner.

Link to the website Noticeboard by clicking hereTamesis Noticeboard

Sad News,  Leonie Steer, a Member of the Club for many years, passed away last Wednesday having battled against cancer for several years.  She was known to many at the Club and her occasional appearances will be sadly missed.  An Obituary will follow later in News .

Last Week  13th to 19th October.

On Saturday 17th October  The annual Royal Canoe Club Paddling Challenge took place successfully in what were, for them, ideal no wind no stream conditions.  They had asked to use our frontage to enable them to run this event within the constraints of the Covid-19 Regulations and it transpires that this has been the only event that British Canoeing has been able to hold this year.

Andy Harris was unable to run the Junior sailing session as the consequence of this event being run over a longer than scheduled timespan.

On Sunday 18th October the annual Trafalgar Trophy pursuit race was run in near calm conditions.  However, everybody managed to make some headway and it proved to be a Merlin benefit with the Trophy being won by Andy Harris, crewed by Matty Key, Peter and Richard Mason were second with Charlie Morgan crewed by Humphrey Dorrell third.  Well done to Henry and Ed Medcalf for taking on the difficult conditions.

Thank you to Rupert Fletcher for being Race Officer for this difficult race, assisted by Hugh McLaughlin and to Paul Jamieson and Stephen Lucas for manning the Patrol Boat.

This Week  20th to 26th October.

On Saturday 24th October we are hosting the Topper Open Meeting.  This event was well attended last year and entries have been good this year.

On Sunday 25th October the Royal Outrigger Canoe Club has a notified event with a River Restriction.  We have held discussions with them about timings and they are going to bring their starts forward so that they should all be clear by the time our Laser start is scheduled.  They will be returning to finish during our Winter Points Series 2 race time and our racing boats should take action not to impede them.

Looking Forward

On Sunday 1st November we will be running the Trowlock Trophy Race.  This event has been brought over from the Ariel calendar and is another Pursuit Handicap event.

On Saturday 7th November Kingston Rowing Club will be running their Kingston Small Boats Head and there has been a request that they would like to use our frontage to reduce the crowding at their own site.  Their use of our site will be controlled by Walbrook Rowing Club with whom we have a long-standing agreement about how our site is used.

On Sunday 8th November we will run the Winter Points Series 3 Races.

On Saturday 14th November Walbrook Rowing Club will be running the Teddington Head and again have requested the use of our frontage for launching boats.  There will be another influx of Portaloos which will be placed along the car park wall of the Changing Rooms.

On Sunday 15th November we will run the Winter Points Series 4 Races.  We need a volunteer to act as Patrol Boat Driver on this day.

On Sunday 22nd November we will run the Winter Points Series 5 Races.

On Saturday 28th November we should be holding our Prizegiving Dinner.  Sadly this is very unlikely to occur this year and the interruption to sailing which Covid has caused has severely reduced the number of prizes which can be awarded.

On Sunday 29th November the RCC has yet another event scheduled on the Reach Coordination about which I will make enquiries.  We will run the Winter Points Series 6 Races but will be starting later than normal.

We are running the Winter Points Series on the days scheduled for all Classes but using our established pandemic format with Starts for – Lasers 10:30, N18/Toppers/Handicap 11:00 and Merlins 11:30.  All start sequences will be notified by the low-pitched hooter.  All boat finishes will be notified by the high-pitched alarm tone.

During the period that we are running these abnormal race start times please do not sign-on to race at the Smithy (Race Box) if you rig your boat in the main Dinghy Park.  The OOD or their assistant will take the entries in the Boat Park as you rig your boats.  If you rig your boat in the area by the changing rooms or in the N18 area, please notify the OOD verbally that you intend to race.

For Winter sailing we are advising that those who have wet suits should wear them, particularly on blustery days and anyone planning to winter sail who does not have one is recommended to consider buying one.  Hypothermia is a dangerous condition.

Replacing the Smithy

The Smithy has withstood the elements, including floods, since 1935 and is showing its age.  We have decided that, with part of the Legacy left to us by Mike Goldsmith, we will replace it.  The work to do this will probably have to be spread over 2 weeks, with the result that a temporary Race Box may have to be erected or we may use the Old Starting Box on the Clubhouse roof.  The new Race Box will be slightly larger than the current one.

A potentially interesting Project (For the second and last time)

We have had a contact from a Mr. John G. Dangerfield from Ham and I reproduce his e-mail verbatim.

Would any of your members be interested in having an old clinker built sailing boat, any offer acceptable. It has no trolley and has been stored in the dry for many years. My father bought it in about 1957 and I think it is called a Twinkle 10. It would need to be seasoned in the open for 12 months or so and would need repair. It has oars, mast, sails (condition unknown) and buoyancy bags. There is also a small outboard motor but it would need a full repair.
I am on the other side of the river in Ham. It is a lovely boat but would need somebody with enthusiasm to take it on.

If any Member is interested in taking this on, please get in touch with me and I will pass you his contact details.

Running the Races –  ‘Dutyman’ allocation of Race organisation duties.

The staffing of the Race Management Team for each week is notified by the ‘Dutyman’ system and assists those who cannot do their allocated duty to swap with someone who can.

Although we have quite a good pool of individuals capable of filling the various functions, we need to expand this pool as much as we can.  We, therefore, invite both sailing and non-sailing Members to experience what the various jobs entail and, after shadowing and some instruction, to join the pool who can help run the races.  If you would like to help in this way please get in touch with us via the General Enquiry contact on the website and, in the short term, we will make the necessary arrangements on an individual basis.  For newer Members this could be a great way to get to know the more established Club Members and become a more integral part of the Club.

We will also, when conditions permit, run some Race Management courses.

Chris Pollard
Commodore

 

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

I have become increasingly aware that there is a lot of information which has, up until now, come up week after week in Tammy Matters.  We have created a Noticeboard so that this important/useful information can be separate from the Newsletter but readily accessible, either from this newsletter, using the link at the end of this paragraph, or directly on the website.

New information, particularly relating to Covid-19 related requirements, will be on the Noticeboard and I will alert you to any additions or changes in the Notices or the Red Banner, at the start of each Tammy Matters.

Link to the website Noticeboard by clicking hereTamesis Noticeboard

Last Week  6th to 12th October.

On Saturday – Andrew Harris ran the Junior Sailing session with the usual enthusiasm being evident.

On Sunday – We ran the initial races for the Winter Points Series for all Classes.  A steady Northerly breeze created good conditions and OOD Joe Woods set a straight up-and-down course with the Lensbury Mark a longish way down towards the weir.  Seven Lasers competed with Matt P-J winning by 7 seconds from Tom Low and with Peter Impey third.  No Toppers this week but two N18s raced with Henry Defries winning from Mal Warner.  Eight Merlins contested this race with Charlie Morgan beating David Baker to the line and Andrew Harris 3rd despite his picking up some weed and some tree branches en route.

It was noted that there were several boats out without masthead buoyancy.  While we are operating in a regime where we should not perform normal rescues, masthead buoyancy is required.

Thank you to Joe Woods as OOD, assisted by Sue Harris, for the running of the races, with Ken Thatcher and Marcus Chavasse manning the Patrol Boats.

As an addendum to last week’s Tammy Matters, I have to report that Marcus came third in the Laser Barometer Open Meeting.

This Week  13th to 19th October.

On Saturday 17th October  The Royal Canoe Club has its annual Paddling Challenge, for which it has a partial River Closure.  They have asked if they can use our frontage to enable them to run this event within the constraints of the Covid-19 Regulations.  Following a meeting to discuss their request and to appraise them of our requirements if they were to use the site.  They have produced a detailed plan of their proposed activity which is satisfactory.

Andrew Harris will be running the Junior sailing session at an adjusted time to take account of this event.

On Sunday 18th October we are scheduled to run the annual Trafalgar Trophy pursuit race.  Watch out for the Notice giving the start times for the various classes which will be published shortly.

Looking Forward

On Saturday 24th October we are hosting the Topper Open Meeting.  This event was well attended last year and entries have been good this year.

On Sunday 25th October  the Royal Outrigger Canoe Club has a notified event with a River Restriction.  We have held discussions with them about timings and they are going to bring their starts forward so that they should all be clear by the time our Laser start is scheduled.  They will be returning to finish during our racing time and racing boats should take action not to impede them.

As from last Sunday, 11th October, we are running the Winter Points Series for all Classes but using our established pandemic format with Starts for – Lasers 10:30, N18/Toppers/Handicap 11:00 and Merlins 11:30.  All start sequences will be notified by the low-pitched hooter.  All boat finishes will be notified by the high-pitched alarm tone.

During the period that we are running these abnormal race start times please do not sign-on to race at the Smithy (Race Box) if you rig your boat in the main Dinghy Park.  The OOD or their assistant will take the entries in the Boat Park as you rig your boats.  If you rig your boat in the area by the changing rooms or in the N18 area, please notify the OOD verbally that you intend to race.

For Winter sailing we are advising that those who have wet suits should wear them, particularly on blustery days and anyone planning to winter sail who does not have one is recommended to consider buying one.  Hypothermia is a dangerous condition.

Replacing the Smithy

The Smithy has withstood the elements, including floods, since 1935 and is showing its age.  We have decided that, with part of the Legacy left to us by Mike Goldsmith, we will replace it.  The work to do this will probably have to be spread over 2 weeks, with the result that a temporary Race Box may have to be erected.  The new Race Box will be slightly larger than the current one.

A potentially interesting Project

We have had a contact from a Mr. John G. Dangerfield from Ham and I reproduce his e-mail verbatim.

Would any of your members be interested in having an old clinker built sailing boat, any offer acceptable. It has no trolley and has been stored in the dry for many years. My father bought it in about 1957 and I think it is called a Twinkle 10. It would need to be seasoned in the open for 12 months or so and would need repair. It has oars, mast, sails (condition unknown) and buoyancy bags. There is also a small outboard motor but it would need a full repair.
I am on the other side of the river in Ham. It is a lovely boat but would need somebody with enthusiasm to take it on.

If any Member is interested in taking this on, please get in touch with me and I will pass you his contact details.

Running the Races –  ‘Dutyman’ allocation of Race organisation duties.

The staffing of the Race Management Team for each week is notified by the ‘Dutyman’ system and which assists those who cannot do their allocated duty to swap with someone who can.

Although we have quite a good pool of individuals capable of filling the various functions, we need to expand this pool as much as we can.  We, therefore, invite both sailing and non-sailing Members to experience what the various jobs entail and, after shadowing and some instruction, to join the pool who can help run the races.  If you would like to help in this way please get in touch with us via the General Enquiry contact on the website and, in the short term, we will make the necessary arrangements on an individual basis.  For newer Members this could be a great way to get to know the more established Club Members and become a more integral part of the Club.

We will also, when conditions permit, run some Race Management courses.

Chris Pollard
Commodore

 

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

Dear all, we are again faced with a change in Government policy which we have to try comply with whilst continuing to enjoy our sailing

The new legislation which has come into force is more restrictive and introduces fines for non-compliance.  The RYA interpretation of the impact of the new Regulations can be found at https://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/clubs/RYA%20C19%20gov%20guidance%20QAs.pdf?v=1.4.1 .  This has further links to information which will show you the complexity of what we are trying to cope with since these links provide further links to more advice.

Practices to be observed whilst at the Club can be seen if you click on the link in the Red Banner near the top of the Home page of the website.  Please read this new version of the Notice.

With the colder weather approaching, although the Clubhouse remains closed for the time being, we are actively working towards making limited access to it possible.  We will advise when suitable arrangements are in place.  We have, however, arranged limited use of the Changing Rooms in addition to access to the toilets.  Currently only 4 people can use the changing area at one time, one in each screened-off sector and although the showers are not yet in use we are working on that as well.

We are also advising that those who are planning to sail during the winter and who have wet suits should wear them, particularly on blustery days like this last Sunday.  Those planning to winter sail who do not have them are recommended to consider buying one.  Hypothermia is a dangerous condition.

Last Week  29th September to 5th October.

On Saturday – We ran the National 18 Inland Championships Open Meeting with the competitions for the Adelaide Cup and the Tamesis Anchor.  Whilst there had been gales for the previous two days, the wind was light but the stream was getting stronger.  Four races were planned but the second had to be abandoned due to inadequate wind to compete with the stream.  The third and fourth races did take place and Matt P-J and Kaan won everything with Charles Fox being the runner up.

Thank you to David Baker as OOD, assisted by Jim Green, with Onursol Soyer, Marcus Chavasse and Howard Thatcher on Patrol Boat.  A full report on the races by Carolyne Vines is in News

The Junior Sailing session was fitted into the gap between the second and third races of the N18s Championship during the mid-day interval.  See the report by Carolyne in News.

On Sunday – A gusty Southwesterly wind, a strong stream and persistent rain presented very lively conditions for the Laser Barometer Open meeting.  A fleet of 13 Lasers pitted themselves against the elements.  The combination of a shifty wind and strong stream made for very difficult conditions and in the end Matt P-J took the honours with Jon Redding second, Kaan was 4th and Nev Upton 5th.  See the report on the races by John Edmondson in News.

Thank you to Tim Medcalf as OOD, assisted by Valerie Hamill, for the running of the races, with Ken Thatcher, Andrew Horwitz, John and Zoe Adams manning the Patrol Boats.  Also thanks to Alexey Anatskiy who, although not rostered to assist, volunteered and did number of useful things during the day.

This Week  6th to 12th October and further ahead.

Saturdays until the end of October, Andrew Harris will continue running the Junior sailing afternoons.

From Sunday 11th October we are intending to run the Winter Points Series for all Classes but using our established pandemic format with Starts for – Lasers 10:30, N18/Toppers/Handicap 11:00 and Merlins 11:30.  All start sequences will be notified by the low-pitched hooter.  All boat finishes will be notified by the high-pitched alarm.

During the period that we are running these abnormal race start times please do not sign-on to race at the Smithy (Race Box) if you rig your boat in the main Dinghy Park.  The OOD or their assistant will take the entries in the Boat Park as you rig your boats.  If you rig your boat in the area by the changing rooms or in the N18 area, please notify the OOD verbally that you intend to race.

Looking Forward

On Saturday 17th October the Royal Canoe Club has its annual Paddling Challenge.  They have asked if they can use our frontage to enable them to run this event within the constraints of the Covid-19 Regulations.  Following a meeting to discuss their request and to appraise them of our requirements for them to use the site, they are currently formulating a procedure for us to sanction.

On Sunday 18th October we are scheduled to run the annual Trafalgar Trophy pursuit race.  Watch out for the notice giving the start times for the various classes which will be published soon.

On Saturday 24th October we are hosting the Topper Open Meeting.  This event was well attended last year and entries have been good this year.

On Sunday 25th October  the Royal Outrigger Canoe Club have an event with a River Restriction.  We are about to hold discussions with them about timings so that we can both realise our racing intentions.

Running the Races –  ‘Dutyman’ allocation of race organisation duties

The staffing of the Race Management Team for each week is notified by the ‘Dutyman’ system and assists those who cannot do their allocated duty to swap with someone who can.

Although we have quite a good pool of individuals capable of filling the various functions, we need to expand this pool as much as we can.  We, therefore, invite both sailing and non-sailing Members to experience what the various jobs entail and, after shadowing and some instruction, join the pool who can help run the races.  If you would like to help in this way please get in touch with us via the General Enquiry contact on the website and, in the short term, we will make the necessary arrangements on an individual basis.  For newer Members this could be a great way to get to know the more established Club Members and become a more integral part of the Club.

We will also, when conditions permit, run some Race Management courses.

Notices

For notices, please visit the website Noticeboard by clicking here.
Tamesis Noticeboard

 

A Reminder.  Joanne, the Pilates teacher who did the Monday classes at the Club, has set up an on-line class at 10:30 on Mondays and Wednesdays, £5 per person per session on Zoom.  If anyone would like any more information they can contact Nicky Johnson on nickyjohnsontamesis@gmail.com

Members are strongly advised to follow the Government advice on coronavirus avoidance techniques and to keep themselves fit  (Pilates group, Joe Wicks on U tube, etc.) for resuming normal life.

Chris Pollard
Commodore

 

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

New Restrictions

New legislation has come into force this week and we are still trying to understand exactly what this will mean for the operation of the Club.  It is more restrictive and introduces fines for non-compliance.  The RYA interpretation of the impact of the new Regulations can be found at https://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/clubs/RYA%20C19%20gov%20guidance%20QAs.pdf?v=1.4.1 .  This advice has further links to information which will show you the complexity of what we are trying to cope with since these links provide further links to more advice.

The Red Banner on the website has not been changed yet but it will be worth checking regularly as I expect to update it soon.

Current law states that gatherings may consist of no more than 6 people who must be 2 metres apart from each other.  Gatherings must be a considerable distance apart and people must not go from one group to another.

Please ensure that you sign yourself in every time you visit the Club – it’s easy to forget and now it’s imperative.  The preferred way is by following the procedure using the NHS QR code which is displayed at several points.  The QR code notice is accompanied by a notice giving the alternative methods of signing in by texting your name(s) to 07547 691 416 or signing in the book in the undercroft.  This is mandatory if we are to comply with the law.

If we are to keep the sailing going, I am afraid that we will have to be very much more careful about how we appear to others.  I realise that all this is very difficult to remember to do and goes very much against the whole ethos of our Club as a welcoming and friendly place to spend time and meet friends.

We will try to be as open as we can be and, with the colder weather approaching, we are working on getting restricted use of the Changing Rooms.  We are also advising that those who are planning to sail during the winter and who have wet suits should wear them, particularly on blustery days like this last Sunday.  Those planning to winter sail who do not have them are recommended to consider buying one.  Hypothermia is a dangerous condition.

Last Week  22nd to 28th September

On Saturday Andrew Harris ran the well-attended and enthusiastic Junior sailing session in lively conditions.  See the report in News

On Sunday a gusty North to Northwesterly wind presented very challenging conditions.  A strong fleet of 10 Lasers, perhaps warming up for this weekend’s Laser Barometer Open meeting, were planing and capsizing in equal measure.  Matt P-J took the honours with Jon Redding second.  Charles Fox, with Robert Blakebrough, reefed his N18 but retired.  2 Toppers persisted to the finish against the conditions, with Matty Key finishing ahead of Alexander Hoo.  2 Merlins planned to race but, as the weather got heavier, only David Baker with Jim Green crossed the start line and completed a lap to take the race.

Thank you to Richard Harris as OOD, assisted by John Edmondson, for the running of the races, with Humphrey Dorrell and Byron Hoo manning the Patrol Boat.  Sadly there was no catering or Bar.

This Week  29th September to 5th October

Unless there are changes in Government policy:

Saturday 3rd October: We plan to run the National 18 Inland Championships Open Meeting and to incorporate the competitions for the Adelaide Cup and the Tamesis Anchor.

It is hoped that the Junior Sailing session will be fitted into the gap between the second and third races of the N18s Championship during the mid-day interval.

Sunday 4th October: We plan to hold the Laser Barometer Open Meeting.

Looking Forward  from 11th October

Saturdays until the end of October, Andrew Harris will continue running the Junior sailing afternoons.

Sundays we are intending to run the Winter Points Series for all Classes but using our established pandemic format with Starts for – Lasers 10:30, N18/Toppers/Handicap 11:00 and Merlins 11:30.  All start sequences will be notified by the low-pitched hooter.  All boat finishes will be notified by the high-pitched alarm.

During the period that we are running these abnormal race start times please do not sign-on to race at the Smithy (Race Box) if you rig your boat in the main Dinghy Park.  The OOD or their assistant will take the entries in the Boat Park as you rig your boats.  If you rig your boat in the area by the changing rooms or in the N18 area, please notify the OOD verbally that you intend to race.  Please do not notify Tim Medcalf in future.

Running the Races –  ‘Dutyman’ allocation of race organisation duties

The staffing of the Race Management Team for each week is notified by the ‘Dutyman’ system and assists those who cannot do their allocated duty to swap with someone who can.

Although we have quite a good pool of individuals capable of filling the various functions, we need to expand this pool as much as we can.  We, therefore, invite both sailing and non-sailing Members to experience what the various jobs entail and, after shadowing and some instruction, join the pool who can help run the races.  If you would like to help in this way please get in touch with us via the general enquiry contact on the website and, in the short term, we will make the necessary arrangements on an individual basis.  For newer Members this could be a great way to get to know the more established Club Members and become a more integral part of the Club.

We will also, when conditions permit, run some Race Management courses.

Available Services

The Clubhouse is still closed but we are actively working towards making limited changing facilities available.  We will advise when these arrangements are in place.

Information

The Chandlery in Ferry Road, near Teddington Lock, has been offering a 10% discount to Club Members.  This discount was negotiated by Andrew Horwitz.  This is the only remaining local Chandlery and if we use them it may encourage them to hold more sailing boat stock which some might need immediately.

Sailing Training

Eric is continuing to send out On-Line Training by e-mails to those who are signed up to his Training programme as the Social Distancing rules make training at the Club impracticable.  If anyone is not receiving these but would like to, please let Eric know via the Training contact on our website and he can include you on his address list.  Scroll to the bottom of this Bulletin to see his latest Training in News.

Paddleboarding

The recently started Paddleboarding section has been very active at the Club during the lockdown period and it is really encouraging to see such enthusiasm for this new facet of what the Club has to offer.

Notices

The Clubhouse and Changing Rooms remain closed but use of Tamesis Club by Members is permitted.  Please click on the Red Banner underneath the pictures on the website Home page and read the notice which will appear. This will reveal the current conditions and information for use of the Club and how to record your going there.

If you use a Club boat please sanitise it thoroughly after use with a disinfectant wipe, boxes of which are available.

The Red Banner

Please read the notice which you get when you click on the Red Banner underneath the pictures on the website Home page.

Since we are in a period where Government guidelines may be changed with unpredictable frequency, I will be using the Red Banner in the website header to present the latest information on any restrictions which have to be applied to activities at the Club and how we are proposing to comply with them.  Please look at this information, at least weekly and before coming to the Club to sail, to look for any changes in policy related to Covid-19.  I will flag up any future changes with a side-bar on the paragraph.

Communications

During this time of enforced Club closure we have adopted the use of WhatsApp groups for general contact and arranging sailing and Zoom for video contacts.

WhatsApp

The WhatsApp groups allow us to pass urgent information to you.  Please join (or rejoin) any of the Groups by asking via the ‘General Inquiry’ category in the ‘Contact Us’ section on the website.

The currently available groups are:

The ‘Tamesis Club‘ Group. This is intended for broadcasting urgent information.  This Group currently has 91 Members signed-up.

The Tamesis Club Sailing Group.  When normal sailing has been resumed this Group is designed to help helms find crews and vice-versa.  This Group currently has 78 Members signed-up.

The Laser Group has been started recently and Laser sailors are encouraged to join this Group.

The TAMESIS SUP WhatsApp Group is now available for information on Paddleboarding.

If you do not have WhatsApp on your smartphone then you can download it for iPhones from the Apple App Store, or for Android from the Play Store.

 

A Reminder.  Joanne, the Pilates teacher who did the Monday classes at the Club, has set up an on-line class at 10:30 on Mondays and Wednesdays, £5 per person per session on Zoom.  If anyone would like any more information they can contact Nicky Johnson on nickyjohnsontamesis@gmail.com

Members are strongly advised to follow the Government advice on coronavirus avoidance techniques and to keep themselves fit  (Pilates group, Joe Wicks on U tube, etc.) for resuming normal life.

Chris Pollard
Commodore

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

New Restrictions

New legislation is coming into force this week and we are trying to understand what this will mean for the operation of the Club.  It is almost certainly more restrictive and introduces fines for non-compliance.  I am awaiting clarification of the full impact of the new Regulations.  The Red Banner on the website has not been changed yet but it will be worth checking regularly as I expect to update it soon.

From Monday, 14th September, the previous set of new rules on gatherings came into force.  This is law rather than guidance and we must observe them very strictly.  Please observe the rule of having groups of no more than 6 people who must be at 2 metres separation, ensure that all groups are a considerable distance apart and that people do not go from one group to another.  I will repeat, we are very visible from the far bank.  We have, previously, had a complaint that we have not been socially distancing properly and there will be people who will be ready to report perceived breaches of the law.

Please ensure that you sign yourself in every time you visit the Club – it’s easy to forget and now it’s imperative.  The preferred way is by texting your name(s) to 07547 691 416.  Alternatively, sign in the book in the undercroft.  This is required if we are to comply with the law.  Do not try to sign-in using any of the WhatsApp groups.

If we are to keep the sailing going, I am afraid that we are going to have to be very much more careful about how we appear to others.  I realise all this goes very much against the whole ethos of our Club as a welcoming and friendly place to spend time and meet friends.  We will try to be as open as we can be, but please give us time to be sure what we can do.

Last Week  15th to 21st September

Saturday 19th September: We hosted the Merlin Rocket Thames Series Open Meeting which comprised the competitions for the Sondown Cup and the three Vintage Merlin trophies, the Southcott Cup, Elizabeth Bowl and Porteous Cup.

Joe McLaughlin and Sean Roberts, as joint Merlin Captains, did a superb job organising the event in difficult conditions and the meeting was fully subscribed with 20 boats.  It was a beautiful day with a reasonable Northeasterly breeze which promised good racing conditions.  Peter Fryer, as OOD, set a straight up and down course with the leeward mark beyond Stevens Ait.  The wind, although fairly strong, proved highly variable in direction, leading to challenging conditions.  Four races were completed with specific races allocated to the Trophies competed for.  This one day competition took the place of what is usually a two day event but it seemed generally agreed that this was a better format for future Merlin Opens at Tamesis.  Thank you to Peter and Pauline Fryer for running the races and to Mal Warner, Sean Roberts and Robert Blakebrough for manning the Patrol Boats.  A full report from Sean Roberts is in News.

On Sunday the Northeasterly breeze was still blowing and 5 Lasers, 3 N18s with a lone Topper and 3 Merlins raced on a beautiful sunny morning.  The Laser race was won by Marcus Chavasse, Henry Defries taking the N18 race and Tim Medcalf winning in the Merlins.

Thank you to Simon Thompson as OOD, assisted by Sally and Adrian Warwick-Haller, for the running of the races, with Clive Mence and Ian Wyatt manning the Patrol Boat.  Sadly there was no catering or Bar.

This Week  22nd to 28th September

For Saturday we will see how things related to the Covid conditions develop to allow us to determine whether we can continue to run the Junior sailing session.  Similar to the Open Meeting situation, once everyone is afloat we will be operating within the law, but getting the children afloat and ashore with the helpers in the mix will make clear distancing almost impossible.  We shall find out – we will run this if we possibly can.

Sunday racing will be to our established pandemic format: Starts for – Lasers 10:30, N18/Toppers/Handicap 11:00 and Merlins 11:30.

All start sequences will be notified by the low-pitched hooter.  All boat finishes will be notified by the high-pitched alarm.

During the period that we are running these abnormal race programmes please do not sign-on to race at the Smithy (Race Box) if you rig your boat in the main Dinghy Park.  The OOD or their assistant will take the entries in the Boat Park as you rig your boats.  If you rig your boat in the area by the changing rooms or in the N18 area, please notify the OOD verbally that you intend to race.  Please do not notify Tim Medcalf in future.

Next Week  29th September to 5th October

Depending on any serious effects from changes in Government policy:

Saturday 3rd October: We are intending to run the National 18 Inland Championships Open Meeting and to incorporate the competitions for the Adelaide Cup and the Tamesis Anchor.

Sunday 4th October: We plan to hold the Laser Barometer Open Meeting.

Looking Forward

From 11th October, we are intending to run the Winter Points Series for all Classes but with the current starting sequence rather than our normal one.

Running the Races – Return to ‘Dutyman’ allocation of race organisation people

During the current Covid induced conditions, Tim Medcalf, in addition to all the other things he has to do as Rear Commodore Sailing, has had the burden of finding and co-ordinating the Race Management Teams.  The staffing of the Race Management Team for the week was, in normal times past, notified by the ‘Dutyman’ system and we are returning to this.  Duties have been allocated right through to the end of March 2021 to allow for swapping, as allocating duties for the month ahead only does not allow sufficient flexibility.  The duties are allocated according to peoples’ experience and if any individual finds themselves allocated a duty on a day on which they can’t do it, the system assists them to swap duties with someone who can.

We have quite a good pool of individuals capable of filling the various functions but, with the present pool, many of the more experienced sailing Members have to be allocated several duties over the year and thus miss, possibly critical to them, Series races.  Therefore, we need to expand this pool as much as we can and invite both sailing and non-sailing Members who would like to get more involved to look at what the various jobs are and, after shadowing and some instruction, join the pool of individuals who can help run the races.  If you would like to help in this way please get in touch with us via the general enquiry contact on the website and, in the short term, we will make the necessary arrangements on an individual basis.  For newer Members this could be a great way to get to know the more established Club Members and become a more integral part of the Club.

We plan to expand the Dutyman system to enable Members who have indicated that they are willing to assist with race management but are not yet sufficiently experienced or confident, to be rostered to shadow particular functions to enable them to gain the necessary experience and skills to perform them.  Initially we anticipate working towards introducing new Race Box assistants and Patrol Boat crews.

We will also, when conditions permit, run some Race Management courses.

Available Services

Although the Clubhouse is still closed, Debora Horwitz, the Rear Commodore House, has been working to introduce more catering possibilities.  Because of the new legislation, we did not operate the Barbeque or Bar last week but we will try to reintroduce them at the earliest opportunity.

Information

David Baker recently went to the Chandlery in Ferry Road, near Teddington Lock, to buy some rope and was offered a 10% discount.  This discount had been negotiated by Andrew Horwitz.  This is the only remaining local Chandlery and if we use them it may encourage them to hold more sailing boat stock which some might need immediately.

Sailing Training

Eric is continuing to send out On-Line Training by e-mails to those who are signed up to his Training programme as the Social Distancing rules make training at the Club impracticable.  If anyone is not receiving these but would like to, please let Eric know via the Training contact on our website and he can include you on his address list.  Scroll to the bottom of this Bulletin to see his latest Training in News.

Paddleboarding

The recently started Paddleboarding section has been very active at the Club during the lockdown period and it is really encouraging to see such enthusiasm for this new facet of what the Club has to offer.

Notices

The Clubhouse and Changing Rooms remain closed but other use of Tamesis Club by Members is permitted.  Please click on the Red Banner underneath the pictures on the website Home page and read the notice which will appear. This will reveal the current conditions and information for use of the Club and how to record your going there.

In line with current RYA advice, non-family/bubble crews are permitted for double handed boats.  It is recommended that non-bubble crews wear gloves, masks and long trousers.  If infection rates take a greater turn for the worse we may have to revert to family/bubble crews only.

If you use a Club boat please sanitise it thoroughly after use with a disinfectant wipe, boxes of which are available.

The Red Banner

Please read the notice which you get when you click on the Red Banner underneath the pictures on the website Home page.

Since we are in a period where Government guidelines may be changed with unpredictable frequency, I will be using the Red Banner in the website header to present the latest information on any restrictions which have to be applied to activities at the Club and how we are proposing to comply with them.  Please look at this information, at least weekly and before coming to the Club to sail, to look for any changes in policy related to Covid-19.  I will flag up any future changes with a side-bar on the paragraph.

Communications

During this time of enforced Club closure we have adopted the use of WhatsApp groups for general contact and arranging sailing and Zoom for video contacts.

WhatsApp

The WhatsApp groups allow us to pass urgent information to you.  Please join (or rejoin) any of the Groups by asking via the ‘General Inquiry’ category in the ‘Contact Us’ section on the website.

The currently available groups are:

The ‘Tamesis Club‘ Group. This is intended for broadcasting urgent information.  This Group currently has 91 Members signed-up.

The Tamesis Club Sailing Group.  When normal sailing has been resumed this Group is designed to help helms find crews and vice-versa.  This Group currently has 78 Members signed-up.

The Laser Group has been started recently and Laser sailors are encouraged to join this Group.

The TAMESIS SUP WhatsApp Group is now available for information on Paddleboarding.

If you do not have WhatsApp on your smartphone then you can download it for iPhones from the Apple App Store, or for Android from the Play Store.

 

A Reminder.  Joanne, the Pilates teacher who did the Monday classes at the Club, has set up an on-line class at 10:30 on Mondays and Wednesdays, £5 per person per session on Zoom.  If anyone would like any more information they can contact Nicky Johnson on nickyjohnsontamesis@gmail.com

Members are strongly advised to follow the Government advice on coronavirus avoidance techniques and to keep themselves fit  (Pilates group, Joe Wicks on U tube, etc.) for resuming normal life.

Chris Pollard
Commodore

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

New Restrictions

From Monday 14th September, the new rules on gatherings will have come into force.  This is law rather than guidance and we must observe this very much more strictly than we have up until now, otherwise we could be fined and probably shut down for a period.  As we do not want this to happen, please observe the rule of having groups of no more than 6 people at 2 metres separation very strictly, ensure that all groups are a considerable distance apart and that people do not go from one group to another.  I will repeat, we are very visible from the far bank.  We have, previously, had a complaint that we have not been socially distancing properly and there will be people who will be ready to report perceived breaches of the law.  I am awaiting clarification of the full impact of the new Regulations, particularly with respect to spectators but it looks like they are not permitted.

Please ensure that you sign yourself in every time you visit the Club – it’s easy to forget and now it’s vital.  The preferred way is by texting your name(s) to 07547 691 416.  Alternatively, sign in the book in the undercroft.  This is required if we are to comply with the law.  Do not try to sign in using any of the WhatsApp groups.

If we are to keep the sailing going, I am afraid that we are going to have to be very much more careful about how we appear to others.  I realise all this goes very much against the whole ethos of our Club as a welcoming and friendly place to spend time and meet friends.  We will try to be as open as we can be, but please give us time to be sure what we can do.

Last Week  8th to 14th September

On Saturday Andrew Harris again ran an extremely well attended and joyous Junior Sailing session with the Toppers and Optimists joined by three Fevas and the Wayfarer – 17 boats in all.  Thank you to all those who assisted Andrew in the running of this session.  Let us hope that the new law will enable us to continue our Junior Sailing sessions.

On Sunday a reasonable Southwesterly breeze made for generally good racing but with the usual holes and eddies.  8 Lasers, 3 N18s with a lone Optimist and 9 Merlins raced on a beautiful sunny morning.  The Laser race was won by Jon Redding, Charles Fox again just taking the N18 and Andrew Harris leading in the Merlins.  A couple of masthead buoyancies came adrift – please make sure yours are securely tied on.

Thank you to John Adams as OOD, assisted by Jim Green and Sue Harris, for the running of the races, with Paul Jamieson and Martin Adams manning the Patrol Boat.  Debora Horwitz ran the Veranda Bar assisted by Sara Jamieson, and Andrew Horwitz ran the new gas barbeque producing pre-race bacon sarnies and a variety of fare for lunch.  It’s really good to get some form of catering back and our thanks to the Horwitzs for getting this running.

This Week  15th to 21st September

Saturday 19th September: We plan to host our Merlin Rocket Thames Series Open Meeting which will comprise the races for the Sondown Cup and the three Vintage Merlin trophies, the Southcott Cup, Elizabeth Bowl and Porteous Cup.

This meeting will be a pioneer for Open Meetings under the new law and will severely test our organisation in the light of the latest legal restrictions.  Whilst the racing itself should pose no issues as it meets the classification of organised sport, what happens shoreside may be regarded by uninformed viewers to be a gathering.  Because of our high visibility we have to ensure that, while the crews are rigging, de-rigging and lunching, it is apparent that we are staying within the law related to gatherings.  The meeting is fully subscribed with 20 boats which means that, even with no spectators on site, we will have at least 50 people to keep visibly distanced.

This will be very difficult, even without any additional Members who might like to watch.  It seems that the new Regulations forbid spectators at sporting events and consequently any who would like to watch the racing must do so from the Kingston bank, from which they should get a very good view.  If I find that there is a possibility that spectators are allowed I will communicate it via WhatsApp.

There will be no Junior Sailing this week.

Sunday racing will be to our established pandemic format: Starts for – Lasers 10:30, Toppers/Handicap 11:00 and Merlins 11:30.

Next Week  22nd to 28th September

For Saturday we will see how things related to the Covid conditions develop to see if we can continue to run the Junior sailing session.  Similar to the Open Meeting situation, once everyone is afloat we will be operating within the law, but getting the children afloat and ashore with the helpers in the mix will make clear distancing almost impossible.  We shall see – we will run this if we possibly can.

Sunday racing to the now established Covid pattern is scheduled:
Starts for – Lasers 10:30, Toppers/N18s/Handicap 11:00 and Merlins 11:30.

All start sequences will be notified by the low-pitched hooter.  All boat finishes will be notified by the high-pitched alarm.

During the period that we are running these abnormal race programmes, if you intend to race on the coming Sunday please could you inform Tim Medcalf in advance, via one of the WhatsApp groups, so that we are aware of the size of the fleets which we will have to manage.

Looking Forward

Saturday 3rd October: We are intending to run the National 18 Inland Championships Open Meeting and to incorporate the competitions for the Adelaide Cup and the Tamesis Anchor.

Sunday 4th October: We plan to hold the Laser Barometer Open Meeting.

From 11th October, we are intending to run the Winter Points Series for all Classes but with the current starting sequence rather than our normal one.

Running the Races – ‘Dutyman’ allocation of race organisation people

During the current Covid induced conditions, Tim Medcalf, in addition to all the other things he has to do as Rear Commodore Sailing, has had the burden of finding and co-ordinating the Race Management Teams.  The staffing of the Race Management Team for the week was, in normal times past, notified by the ‘Dutyman’ system and we are returning to this.  Duties have been allocated right through to the end of March 2021 to allow for swapping, as allocating duties for the month ahead only does not allow sufficient flexibility.  The duties are allocated according to peoples’ capabilities and if any individual finds themselves allocated a duty on a day on which they can’t do it, the system assists them to swap duties with someone who can.

We have quite a good pool of individuals capable of filling the various functions but, with the present pool, many of the more experienced sailing Members have to be allocated several duties over the year and thus miss, possibly critical to them, Series races.  Therefore, we need to expand this pool as much as we can and invite both sailing and non-sailing Members who would like to get more involved to look at what the various jobs are and, after shadowing and some instruction, join the pool of individuals who can help run the races.  If you would like to help in this way please get in touch with us via the general enquiry contact on the website and, in the short term, we will make the necessary arrangements on an individual basis.  For newer Members this could be a great way to get to know the more established Club Members and become a more integral part of the Club.

We plan to expand the Dutyman system to enable Members, who have indicated that they are willing to assist with race management but are not yet sufficiently experienced or confident, to be rostered to shadow particular functions so that they can gain the necessary experience and skills to perform them.  Initially we anticipate working towards introducing new Race Box assistants and Patrol Boat crews.

We will also, when conditions permit, run some Race Management courses.

Available Services

Although the Clubhouse is still closed, Debora Horwitz, the Rear Commodore House, has been working to introduce more catering possibilities.  In addition to coffee being available at the Veranda Bar, this week the new gas Barbeque was brought into action, providing hot food for Members both pre-sailing and at lunchtime.  Debora is planning to expand the range of food available to be as wide as possible.

Information

David Baker recently went to the Chandlery in Ferry Road, near Teddington Lock, to buy some rope and was offered a 10% discount.  This discount had been negotiated by Andrew Horwitz.  This is the only remaining local Chandlery and if we use them it may encourage them to hold more sailing boat stock which some might need immediately.

Sailing Training

Eric is continuing to send out On-Line Training by e-mails to those who are signed up to his Training programme as the Social Distancing rules make training at the Club impracticable.  If anyone is not receiving these but would like to, please let Eric know via the Training contact on our website and he can include you on his address list.  Scroll to the bottom of this Bulletin to see his latest Training in News.

Paddleboarding

The recently started Paddleboarding section has been very active at the Club during the lockdown period and it is really encouraging to see such enthusiasm for this new facet of what the Club has to offer.

Notices

Although the Clubhouse and Changing Rooms are still closed, some use of Tamesis Club by Members is permitted.  Please click on the Red Banner beneath the pictures on the website Home page and read the notice which will appear. This will reveal the current conditions and information for use of the Club and how to record your going there.

In line with the RYA advice, non-family/bubble crews are permitted for double handed boats.  It is recommended that non-bubble crews wear gloves, masks and long trousers.  If infection rates take a greater turn for the worse we may have to revert to family/bubble crews only.

If you use a Club boat please sanitise it thoroughly after use with a disinfectant wipe, boxes of which are available.

The Red Banner

Please read the notice which you get when you click on the Red Banner underneath the pictures on the website Home page.

Since we are in a period where Government guidelines may be changed with unpredictable frequency, I will be using the Red Banner in the website header to present the latest information on any restrictions which have to be applied to activities at the Club and how we are proposing to comply with them.  Please look at this information, at least weekly and before coming to the Club to sail, to look for any changes in policy related to Covid-19.  I will flag up any future changes with a side-bar on the paragraph.

Communications

During this time of enforced Club closure we have adopted the use of WhatsApp groups for general contact and arranging sailing and Zoom for video contacts.  Since the WhatsApp groups have proved extremely effective for communication, their use will increase.

WhatsApp

The WhatsApp groups allow us to pass urgent information to you.  Please join (or rejoin) any of the Groups by asking via the ‘General Inquiry’ category in the ‘Contact Us’ section on the website.

The currently available groups are:

The ‘Tamesis Club‘ Group. This is intended for broadcasting urgent information.  This Group currently has 91 Members signed-up.

The ‘Tamesis Club Sailing’ Group.  When normal sailing has been resumed this Group is designed to help helms find crews and vice-versa.  This Group currently has 78 Members signed-up.

The ‘Laser’ Group has been started recently and Laser sailors are encouraged to join this Group.

The ‘TAMESIS SUP’ WhatsApp Group is now available for information on Paddleboarding.

If you do not have WhatsApp on your smartphone then you can download it for iPhones from the Apple App Store, or for Android from the Play Store.

 

A Reminder.  Joanne, the Pilates teacher who did the Monday classes at the Club, has set up an on-line class at 10:30 on Mondays and Wednesdays, £5 per person per session on Zoom.  If anyone would like any more information they can contact Nicky Johnson on nickyjohnsontamesis@gmail.com

Members are strongly advised to follow the Government advice on coronavirus avoidance techniques and to keep themselves fit  (Pilates group, Joe Wicks on U tube, etc.) for resuming normal life.

Chris Pollard
Commodore

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

Last Week  1st to 7th September

On Saturday Andrew Harris ran the very well attended junior sailing session with the Toppers and Optimists joined by a Feva and one of the recently refurbished Laser 2000s.  Thank you to all those who assisted Andrew in the running of this session.

On Sunday a fitful and shifting Northwesterly breeze made for challenging conditions with anticipation of where the wind was going to be being key.  4 Lasers, 2 N18s and 9 Merlins raced on a beautiful sunny morning.  The Laser race was won by Jon Redding who, after a late start, managed to overhaul the rest of the fleet.  Jim Hamilton secured second place with Peter Impey third.  The N18s of Henry Defries and Charles Fox were swapping places all through their race with Charles just taking the race at the end.  In the Merlin race, Richard Harris appeared to find a private wind and put an ever increasing gap between himself and the rest of the fleet.  Within the rest of the fleet places were being swapped with great frequency but, at the finish, David Baker secured second place with Chris Balmbro third.

Thank you to Peter Fryer as OOD, assisted by Pauline, for the running of the races, Daniel and Katrin Gerber for manning the Patrol Boat and Tim Medcalf for organising it.  Debora Horwitz ran the Veranda Bar, adding coffees to the normal bar fare available.  As a footnote, if the Veranda Bar is being run by one person it will be helpful if one other person volunteers to assist as it operates much more easily and quickly if there are two running it.

A number of the Toppers and Tim Medcalf in his Merlin went up-river to Minima Yacht Club’s Annual Regatta.  A report on the Minima Regatta will follow.

Tim Medcalf and Joe McLaughlin took their boats to Ranelagh for their Merlin Rocket Down River Race and had a great day.  Tim has made a full report on this.

This Week  8th to 14th September

The Saturday Junior sailing session will start at 2pm.

Sunday racing to the now established Covid pattern is scheduled –
Starts for – Lasers 10:30, Toppers/N18s/Handicap 11:00 and Merlins 11:30 .

All start sequences will be notified by the low-pitched hooter.  All boat finishes will be notified by the high-pitched alarm.

During the period that we are running these abnormal race programmes, if you intend to race on the coming Sunday please could you inform Tim Medcalf in advance ,via one of the WhatsApp groups, so that we are aware of the size of the fleets which we will have to manage.

Next Week  15th to 21st September

Saturday 19th September: We will host our Merlin Rocket Thames Series Open Meeting which will comprise the races for the Sondown Cup and the three Vintage Merlin trophies, the Southcott Cup, Elizabeth Bowl and Porteous Cup.

There will be no Junior Sailing at 2pm this week.

Sunday racing will be to our established pandemic format – Starts for – Lasers 10:30, Toppers/Handicap 11:00 and Merlins 11:30.

Looking Forward

Saturday 3rd October: We are intending to run the National 18 Inland Championships Open Meeting and to incorporate the competitions for the Adelaide Cup and the Tamesis Anchor.

Sunday 4th October: We plan to hold the Laser Barometer Open Meeting.

From 11th October, we are intending to run the Winter Points Series for all Classes but with the current starting sequence rather than our normal one.

Running the Races – ‘Dutyman’ allocation of race organisation people

During the current Covid induced conditions, Tim Medcalf, who in addition to all the other things he has to do as Rear Commodore Sailing, has been finding and co-ordinating the Race Management people.  The staffing of the Race Management Team for the week was, in normal times past, notified by the ‘Dutyman’ system and we are returning to this.  Initially we will be doing this on a rolling month to month basis but eventually will reinstate it fully.  Under the Dutyman system, duties are allocated randomly to people with the right capabilities and if an individual finds themself allocated a duty on a day on which they cannot attend the Club, the system assists them to swap duties with someone who can.

We have quite a good pool of individuals capable of filling the various functions but, with the present pool, many of the more experienced sailing Members have to be allocated several duties over the year and thus miss, possibly critical to them, Series races.  Therefore, we need to expand this pool as much as we can and invite both sailing and non-sailing members who would like to get more involved to look at what the various jobs are and, after shadowing and some instruction, join the pool of individuals who can help run the races.  If you would like to help in this way please get in touch with myself or Tim and, in the short term, we will make the necessary arrangements on an individual basis.  For newer Members this could be a great way to get to know the more established Club Members and become a more integral part of the Club.

We plan to expand the Dutyman system to enable Members, who have indicated that they are willing to assist with race management but are not yet sufficiently experienced or confident, to be rostered to shadow particular functions so that they can gain the necessary experience and skills to perform them.  Initially we anticipate working towards introducing new Race Box assistants and Patrol Boat crews.

Available Services

Although the Clubhouse is still closed, Debora Horwitz, the Rear Commodore House, is working to introduce more catering possibilities.  This week there was coffee available at the Veranda Bar and she is working towards more ambitious goals in the near future.

Information

David Baker recently went to the Chandlery in Ferry Road, near Teddington Lock, to buy some rope and was offered a 10% discount.  This discount had been negotiated by Andrew Horwitz.  This is the only remaining local Chandlery and if we use them it may encourage them to hold more sailing boat stock which some might need immediately.

Sailing Training

Eric is continuing to send out On-Line Training by e-mails to those who are signed up to his Training programme as the Social Distancing rules make training at the Club impracticable.  If anyone is not receiving these but would like to, please let Eric know via the Training contact on our website and he can include you on his address list.  Scroll to the bottom of this Bulletin to see his latest Training in News.

Paddleboarding

The recently started Paddleboarding section has been very active at the Club during the lockdown period and it is really encouraging to see such enthusiasm for this new facet of what the Club has to offer.

Notices

Although the Clubhouse and Changing Rooms are still closed, some use of Tamesis Club by Members is permitted by the partial lifting of the Covid-19 lockdown.  Please click on the Red Banner beneath the pictures on the website Home page and read the notice which will appear. This will reveal the current conditions and information for use of the Club and how to record your going there.

Please ensure that you sign yourself in every time you visit the Club – it’s easy to forget.  The preferred way is by texting your name(s) to 07547 691 416.  Alternatively, sign in the book in the undercroft.  This is required if we are to justify being able to have more than 30 people at any time.  Do not try to sign in using any of the WhatsApp groups.

In line with the RYA advice, non-family/bubble crews are permitted for double handed boats.  It is recommended that non-bubble crews wear gloves, masks and long trousers.  If infection rates take a turn for the worse we may revert to family/bubble crews only.

If you use a Club boat please wipe it down thoroughly after use.

The Red Banner

Please read the notice which you get when you click on the Red Banner underneath the pictures on the website Home page.

Since we are in a period where Government guidelines may be changed with unpredictable frequency, I will be using the Red Banner in the website header to present the latest information on any restrictions which have to be applied to activities at the Club and how we are proposing to comply with them.  Please look at this information, at least weekly and before coming to the Club to sail, to look for any changes in policy related to Covid-19.  I will flag up any future changes with a side-bar on the paragraph.

Communications

During this time of enforced Club closure we have adopted the use of WhatsApp groups for general contact and arranging sailing and Zoom for video contacts.  Since the WhatsApp groups have proved extremely effective for communication, their use will increase.

WhatsApp

The WhatsApp groups allow us to pass urgent information to you.  Please join (or rejoin) any of the Groups by asking via the ‘General Inquiry’ category in the ‘Contact Us’ section on the website.

The currently available groups are:

The ‘Tamesis Club‘ Group. This is intended for broadcasting urgent information.  This Group currently has 91 Members signed-up.

The Tamesis Club Sailing Group.  When normal sailing has been resumed this Group is designed to help helms find crews and vice-versa.  This Group currently has 78 Members signed-up.

The ‘Laser’ Group has been started recently and Laser sailors are encouraged to join this Group.

The ‘TAMESIS SUP’ WhatsApp Group is now available for information on Paddleboarding.

If you do not have WhatsApp on your smartphone then you can download it for iPhones from the Apple App Store, or for Android from the Play Store.

 

A Reminder.  Joanne, the Pilates teacher who did the Monday classes at the Club, has set up an on-line class at 10:30 on Mondays and Wednesdays, £5 per person per session on Zoom.  If anyone would like any more information they can contact Nicky Johnson on nickyjohnsontamesis@gmail.com

Members are strongly advised to follow the Government advice on coronavirus avoidance techniques and to keep themselves fit  (Pilates group, Joe Wicks on U tube, etc.) for resuming normal life.

Chris Pollard
Commodore

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

Last Week  25th to 31st August

On Thursday evening the last of our General Handicap Series of races was cancelled as there was a torrential downpour and no wind at race time.  A sad ending to our attempt to bring Summer Thursday sailing back.

On Saturday Griff ran the junior sailing session starting at 2pm.  It was very well attended with 8 Toppers and 2 Optimists enjoying a good Northerly breeze.  Thank you to all those who supported Griff in the running of this session.

On Sunday a good Northerly breeze bode well for some good racing.  4 Lasers, 5 Toppers and an Optimist in the Handicap fleet and 8 Merlins raced.

Thank you to Carolyne Vines as OOD, assisted by Henry Defries, for the running of the races, Martin Adams and Jim Hamilton for manning the Patrol Boat and Tim Medcalf for organising it all again.  I briefly stepped in as Race Officer to finish the Merlin race whilst Carolyne opened the Veranda Bar, which she ran single handed – thank you Carolyne.  As a footnote, if the Veranda Bar is being run by one person it will be helpful if one other person volunteers to assist as it operates much more easily, and quickly, if there are two running it.  Read the full report on the racing by Tim Medcalf in News.

This Week  1st to 7th September

The Saturday Junior sailing session will start at 2pm.

Sunday racing to the now established Covid pattern is scheduled –
Starts for – Lasers 10:30, Topper/Handicap 11:00 and Merlins 11:30 .

All start sequences will be notified by the low-pitched hooter.  All boat finishes will be notified by the high-pitched alarm.

During the period that we are running these abnormal race programmes, if you intend to race on the coming Sunday, please could you inform Tim Medcalf in advance via one of the WhatsApp groups so that we are aware of the size of the fleets which we will have to manage.

Next Week.  8th to 14th September

Saturday Junior Sailing starting at 2pm.

Sunday racing – Starts for – Lasers 10:30, Topper/Handicap 11:00 and Merlins 11:30 .

Running the Races

During the current Covid induced conditions we have been staffing the race running organisation by seeking volunteers, week by week, to take on the various functions.  This has placed a burden on Tim Medcalf who, on top of all the other things he has to do, has been finding and co-ordinating the Duty people.  Previously, in what were normal conditions, the staffing of the race organisation was notified on the ‘Dutyman’ system and we are planning to return to this.  Initially we expect to be doing this on a rolling month to month basis but eventually will reinstate it fully.

We have quite a good pool of individuals capable of filling the various functions but we would like to expand this pool and invite both sailing and non-sailing members who would like to get more involved to look at what the various jobs are and, after shadowing and some instruction, join the pool of individuals who can help run the races.  If you feel you would like to help in this way please get in touch with myself or Tim and we will make the necessary arrangements.

Initially we anticipate working towards introducing new Race Box assistants and Patrol Boat crews.

Information

David Baker recently went to the Chandlery in Ferry Road, near Teddington Lock, to buy some rope and was offered a 10% discount.  This is the only remaining local Chandlery and if we use them it may encourage them to hold more sailing boat stock which some might need immediately.

Sailing Training

Eric is continuing to send out On-Line Training by e-mails to those who are signed up to his Training programme as the Social Distancing rules make training at the Club impracticable.  If anyone is not receiving these but would like to, please let Eric know via the Training contact on our website and he can include you on his address list.  Scroll to the bottom of this Bulletin to see his latest Training in News.

Paddleboarding

The recently started Paddleboarding section has been very active at the Club during the lockdown period and it is really encouraging to see such enthusiasm for this new facet of what the Club has to offer.

Notices

Although the Clubhouse and Changing Rooms are still closed, some use of Tamesis Club by Members is permitted by the partial lifting of the Covid-19 lockdown.  Please click on the Red Banner beneath the pictures on the website Home page and read the notice which will appear. This will reveal the current conditions and information for use of the Club and how to record your going there.

Please ensure that you sign yourself in every time you visit the Club – it’s easy to forget.  The preferred way is by texting your name(s) to 07547 691 416.  Alternatively, sign in the book in the undercroft.  This is required if we are to justify being able to have more than 30 people at any time.  Do not try to sign in using any of the WhatsApp groups.

In line with the RYA advice, non-family/bubble crews are permitted for double handed boats.  It is recommended that non-bubble crews wear gloves, masks and long trousers.  If infection rates take a turn for the worse we may revert to family/bubble crews only.

If you use a Club boat please wipe it down thoroughly after use.

The Red Banner

Please read the notice which you get when you click on the Red Banner underneath the pictures on the website Home page.

Since we appear to be entering a period where Government guidelines are being changed with unpredictable frequency, I will be using the Red Banner in the website header to present the latest information on any restrictions which have to be applied to activities at the Club and how we are proposing to comply with them.  Please look at this information, at least weekly and before coming to the Club to sail, to look for any changes in policy related to Covid-19.  I will flag up any future changes with a side-bar on the paragraph.

Communications

During this time of enforced Club closure we have adopted the use of WhatsApp groups for general contact and arranging sailing and Zoom for video contacts.  Since the WhatsApp groups have proved extremely effective for communication, their use will increase.

WhatsApp

The WhatsApp groups allow us to pass urgent information to you.  Please join (or rejoin) any of the Groups by asking via the ‘General Inquiry’ category in the ‘Contact Us’ section on the website.

The currently available groups are:

The ‘Tamesis Club‘ Group. This is intended for broadcasting urgent information.  This Group currently has 89 Members signed-up.

The Tamesis Club Sailing Group.  When normal sailing has been resumed this Group is designed to help helms find crews and vice-versa.  This Group currently has 75 Members signed-up.

The Laser Group has been started recently and Laser sailors are encouraged to join this Group.

The TAMESIS SUP WhatsApp Group is now available for information on Paddleboarding.

If you do not have WhatsApp on your smartphone then you can download it for iPhones from the Apple App Store, or for Android from the Play Store.

 

A Reminder.  Joanne, the Pilates teacher who did the Monday classes at the Club, has set up an on-line class at 10:30 on Mondays and Wednesdays, £5 per person per session on Zoom.  If anyone would like any more information they can contact Nicky Johnson on nickyjohnsontamesis@gmail.com

Members are strongly advised to follow the Government advice on coronavirus avoidance techniques and to keep themselves fit  (Pilates group, Joe Wicks on U tube, etc.) for resuming normal life.

Chris Pollard
Commodore

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

Notices

Although the Clubhouse and Changing Rooms are still closed, some use of Tamesis Club by Members is permitted by the partial lifting of the Covid-19 lockdown.  Please click on the Red Banner beneath the pictures on the website home page and read the notice which will appear. This will reveal the current conditions and information for use of the Club and how to record your going there.

Please ensure that you sign yourself in every time you visit the Club – it’s easy to forget.  The preferred way is by texting your name(s) to 07547 691 416.  Alternatively, sign in the book in the undercroft.  This is required if we are to justify being able to have more than 30 people at any time.  Do not try to sign in using any of the WhatsApp groups.

In line with the RYA advice, non-family/bubble crews are permitted for double handed boats.  It is recommended that non-bubble crews wear gloves, masks and long trousers.  If infection rates take a turn for the worse we may revert to family/bubble crews only.

If you use a Club boat please wipe it down thoroughly after use.

Last Week  18th to 24th August

The second of our Summer Camps, organised by Tim Medcalf and run by Ben Kimbell, took place.  The weather became wetter and windier as the week progressed but it did not seem to dampen the enthusiasm of the participants.  The wind forecast for the Friday indicated that the big marquee would be at risk of blowing away and the WhatsApp group proved its worth in that I was able to assemble a team to dismantle it on Thursday evening in about 20 minutes – and even had an apology from one who could not help.  A big thank you to all those who pitched in and made striking the marquee so swift.

I went down to be part of the award giving presentation, at the end of the camp, where everyone looked as though they had had a good time.  Thank you again to Ben Kimbell, assisted by Ben Ramage, Iwan Drewett, Alden Horwitz and Caitlin for making it so enjoyable for the participants despite the variable weather during the week.  See News for Tim Medcalf’s full report on the camps.

Saturday saw the start of the Junior sailing sessions overseen by Andrew Harris.  On a very breezy afternoon, it was good to see smiling young sailors, two of whom were from the camp which had just finished, planing their Toppers up and down the river.

Sunday held promise of a good sail with a good Westerly breeze as we set the course.  However, by race time the wind had become less predictable in both strength and direction, leading to some frustrations.  7 Lasers, 3 Toppers, an Optimist and an N18 in the Handicap fleet and 6 Merlins raced.

Thank you to Sue Harris and Peter Fryer for assisting the running of the races, John Adams and Tim Ginn for manning the Patrol Boat and Tim for organising it all again.  Read the full report by Tim Medcalf in News.

Again, after racing, it was apparent that Members need to get a better grip of social distancing ashore.  The Veranda round the Bar was very orderly but the waterfront gathering was still clearly bigger than a single group of six and several were closer than the required 2 metres.  I know it is very unnatural to not group with all your friends and 2 metres does seem to be a very long way apart, but we are highly visible and must do it for as long as it is required.  Thank you Deb and Andrew Horwitz for running the Veranda Bar.

Whilst it is really good to see so many people using and enjoying the Club again, please could you all be sure to put your picnic and bar debris into the appropriate bins as you leave, it will help a lot.

This Week  25th to 31st August

On Thursday evening the last of our General Handicap Series of races will take place.  The start will be at 7pm for all classes.  The intended Series of four races has been reduced to three by a previous week’s cancellation.

On Saturday Andrew will be running the junior sailing session starting at 2 pm.  I would encourage all young sailors with reasonable skill and confidence to join in this session – and it’s more than just sailing.

On Sunday we will continue to use the recently established pattern for racing – which is:

Lasers launch from 10:10 to start at 10:30.  Following their race the Lasers will stay afloat out of the way until all Merlins are afloat.

Toppers and any Handicap Class boats (including N18s) can launch from 10:40 to start at 11:00.  They can come ashore as soon as their race is finished.

Merlins can launch from about 11:05 to start at 11:30.

All start sequences will be notified by the low-pitched hooter.  All boat finishes will be notified by the high-pitched alarm.

During the period that we are running these abnormal race programmes, if you intend to race on the coming Sunday, please could you inform Tim Medcalf in advance via one of the WhatsApp groups so that we are aware of the size of the fleets which we will have to manage.

We intend running the Veranda Bar, if possible, for the foreseeable future whenever there is racing.  Watch out for information on future sailing sessions on the Tamesis Sailing and Tamesis Club WhatsApp groups.

Volunteers needed

To make racing under the current conditions possible, we must have volunteers to run the shoreside operations on Sundays.  In particular we need same household/bubble crews to man the Patrol Boat.  Without a Patrol Boat crew we would have to cancel racing for that day.  Please notify Tim Medcalf if you can, and are willing to, do a Patrol Boat duty.  We also need volunteers to do OOD and Beachmaster.

Next Week  1st to 7th September

The Saturday Junior sailing session run by Andrew Harris will start at 2pm.

Sunday racing to the now established Covid pattern – Starts for – Lasers 10:30, Topper/Handicap 11:00 and Merlins 11:30 is scheduled.

Training

Eric is continuing to send out On-Line Training by e-mails to those who are signed up to his Training programme as the Social Distancing rules make training at the Club impracticable.  If anyone is not receiving these but would like to, please let Eric know via the Training contact on our website and he can include you on his address list.  Scroll to the bottom of this Bulletin to see his latest Training in News.

 Paddleboarding

The recently started Paddleboarding section has been very active at the Club during the lockdown period and it is really encouraging to see such enthusiasm for this new facet of what the Club has to offer.

Communications

During this time of enforced Club closure we have adopted the use of WhatsApp groups for general contact and arranging sailing and Zoom for video contacts.  Since the WhatsApp groups have proved extremely effective for communication, their use will increase.

The Red Banner

Please read the notice which you get when you click on the Red Banner underneath the pictures on the website Home page.

Since we appear to be entering a period where Government guidelines are being changed with unpredictable frequency, I will be using the Red Banner in the website header to present the latest information on any restrictions which have to be applied to activities at the Club and how we are proposing to comply with them.  Please look at this information at least weekly and before coming to the Club to sail to look for any changes in policy related to Covid-19.  I will flag up any future changes with a side-bar on the paragraph.

WhatsApp

The WhatsApp groups allow us to pass urgent information to you.  Please join (or rejoin) any of the Groups by asking via the ‘General Inquiry’ category in the ‘Contact Us’ section on the website.

The currently available groups are:

The ‘Tamesis Club‘ Group. This is intended for broadcasting urgent information.  This Group currently has 89 Members signed-up.

The Tamesis Club Sailing Group.  When normal sailing has been resumed this Group is designed to help helms find crews and vice-versa.  This Group currently has 75 Members signed-up.

The Laser Group has been started recently and Laser sailors are encouraged to join this Group.

The TAMESIS SUP WhatsApp Group is now available for information on Paddleboarding.

If you do not have WhatsApp on your smartphone then you can download it for iPhones from the Apple App Store, or for Android from the Play Store.

 

A Reminder.  Joanne, the Pilates teacher who did the Monday classes at the Club, has set up an on-line class at 10:30 on Mondays and Wednesdays, £5 per person per session on Zoom.  If anyone would like any more information they can contact Nicky Johnson on nickyjohnsontamesis@gmail.com

Members are strongly advised to follow the Government advice on coronavirus avoidance techniques and to keep themselves fit  (Pilates group, Joe Wicks on U tube, etc.) for resuming normal life.

Chris Pollard
Commodore

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

Notices

Although the Clubhouse and Changing Rooms are still closed, some use of Tamesis Club by Members is permitted by the partial lifting of the Covid-19 lockdown.  Please click on the Red Banner beneath the pictures on the website home page and read the notice which will appear. This will reveal the current conditions and information for use of the Club and how to record your going there.

Please ensure that you sign yourself in every time you visit the Club – it’s easy to forget.  The preferred way is by texting your name(s) to 07547 691 416.  Alternatively sign in the book in the undercroft.  This is required if we are to justify being able to have more than 30 people at any time.  Do not try to sign in using any of the WhatsApp groups.

The current Government advice is in a state of flux at the moment but we have considered the advice to see how far we think it is advisable to implement the RYA guidance.  In line with the RYA advice, non-family/bubble crews are permitted for double handed boats.  It is recommended that non-bubble crews wear  gloves, masks and long trousers.  If infection rates take a turn for the worse we may revert to family/bubble crews only.

Last Week  11th to 17th August

Thursday evening’s General Handicap Series race was cancelled in anticipation of thunderstorms and violent squalls.  In the event, the thunderstorms made no appearance, although there were some thundery grumblings, and the evening was almost totally windless.

Sunday was overcast and surprisingly hot with a fitful breeze from somewhere in the South-East quadrant – most of the time.  Four Lasers, four Toppers + 2 N18s and six Merlins raced.

Thank you to Charlie Morgan and Anne Bayne for running the races, Martin and Barbara Adams for manning the Patrol Boat, Humphrey Dorrell acting as Beachmaster and Tim for organising it all.  Read the full report by Tim Medcalf in News.

We still need to get a better grip of social distancing ashore.  People are more conscious of crowding on the Veranda round the Bar but the waterfront gatherings are still tending to be much bigger than six and closer than the required 2 metres.  It is very unnatural and 2 metres seems a very long way away, but we have to do it for as long as it is required.  Thank you Carolyne and Nicky for running the Veranda Bar again.

Whilst it is really good to see so many people using and enjoying the Club again, please could you all be sure to put your picnic and bar debris into the appropriate bins as you leave, it will help a lot.

This Week  18th to 24th August

This week sees the second of our Summer Camps, organised by Tim and run by Ben Kimbell.  The big marquee will be the classroom and general shelter for the camp and is available for socially distanced shelter if required on Sunday.

I went down to welcome the participants, in bright sunshine, at 10 o’clock on Monday morning and expressed the hope that they would all enjoy themselves and that the forecast thunderstorms did not trouble them too much.  Fifteen minutes later they were subjected to their first intense deluge.  I’ll ask them what they thought on Friday.

On Thursday evenings in August, a General Handicap Series of races will be run with the start at 7pm for all classes.  The intended Series of four races has been reduced to three by last week’s cancellation.

On Sunday we will continue to use the recently established pattern for racing – which is:

Lasers launch from 10:10 to start at 10:30.  Following their race the Lasers will stay afloat out of the way until all Merlins are afloat.

Toppers and any Handicap Class boats (including N18s) can launch from 10:40 to start at 11:00.  They can come ashore as soon as their race is finished.

Merlins can launch from about 11:05 to start at 11:30.

All start sequences will be notified by the low-pitched hooter.  All boat finishes will be notified by the high-pitched alarm.

During the period that we are running these abnormal race programmes, if you intend to race on the coming Thursday or Sunday, please could you inform Tim Medcalf in advance via one of the WhatsApp groups so that we are aware of the size of the fleets which we will have to manage.

We intend running the Veranda Bar, if possible, for the foreseeable future whenever there is racing.  Watch out for information on future sailing sessions on the Tamesis Sailing and Tamesis Club WhatsApp groups.

Volunteers needed.

To make racing under the current conditions possible we must have volunteers to run the shoreside operations both on Sundays and, for August, Thursday evenings.  In particular we need same household/bubble crews to man the Patrol Boat.  Without a Patrol Boat crew we would have to cancel racing for that day.  Please notify Tim Medcalf if you can, and are willing to, do a Patrol Boat duty.  We also need volunteers to do OOD and Beachmaster.

Next Week  25th to 31st August

The Thursday evening General Handicap race will start at 7pm for all classes.  Sunday racing to the Covid pattern – Lasers 10:30, Topper/Handicap 11:00 and Merlins 11:30 is scheduled.

Training

Eric is continuing to send out On-Line Training by e-mails to those who are signed up to his Training programme as the Social Distancing rules make training at the Club impracticable.  If anyone is not receiving these but would like to, please let Eric know via the Training contact on our website and he can include you on his address list.  Scroll to the bottom of this Bulletin to see his latest Training in News.

 

Paddleboarding

The recently started Paddleboarding section has been very active at the Club during the lockdown period and it is really encouraging to see such enthusiasm for this new facet of what the Club has to offer.

Communications

During this time of enforced Club closure we have adopted the use of WhatsApp groups for general contact and arranging sailing and Zoom for video contacts.  Since the WhatsApp groups have proved extremely effective for communication, their use will increase.

The Red Banner

Please read the notice which you get when you click on the Red Banner underneath the pictures on the website Home page.

Since we appear to be entering a period where Government guidelines are being changed with unpredictable frequency, I will be using the Red Banner in the website header to present the latest information on any restrictions which have to be applied to activities at the Club and how we are proposing to comply with them.  Please look at this information at least weekly and before coming to the Club to sail to look for changes in policy related to Covid-19.  I will flag up any future changes with a side-bar on the paragraph.

WhatsApp

The WhatsApp groups allow us to pass urgent information to you.  Please join (or rejoin) any of the Groups by asking via the ‘General Inquiry’ category in the ‘Contact Us’ section on the website.

The currently available groups are:

The ‘Tamesis Club‘ Group. This is intended for broadcasting urgent information.  This Group currently has 89 Members signed-up.

The Tamesis Club Sailing Group.  When normal sailing has been resumed this Group is designed to help helms find crews and vice-versa.  This Group currently has 75 Members signed-up.

The Laser Group has been started recently and Laser sailors are encouraged to join this Group.

The TAMESIS SUP WhatsApp Group is now available for information on Paddleboarding.

If you do not have WhatsApp on your smartphone then you can download it for iPhones from the Apple App Store, or for Android from the Play Store.

 

A Reminder.  Joanne, the Pilates teacher who did the Monday classes at the Club, has set up an on-line class at 10:30 on Mondays and Wednesdays, £5 per person per session on Zoom.  If anyone would like any more information they can contact Nicky Johnson on nickyjohnsontamesis@gmail.com

Members are strongly advised to follow the Government advice on coronavirus avoidance techniques and to keep themselves fit  (Pilates group, Joe Wicks on U tube, etc.) for resuming normal life.

Chris Pollard
Commodore