Tamesis Club

Thursday evening GW Smith Trophy series – update 5

Here is John Adams’ latest race report:

The last July race in the GW Smith Trophy attracted a very good entry of 21 starters, with a south westerly wind which although dying a little before we started still kept us moving fast enough for many of the fleet to complete 5 laps, up from the usual 2 or 3 on a Thursday evening.

With so many boats the start was interesting with a couple of eager contestants having to go back and then fight their way through the fleet.  The race itself was tight with plenty of place changing, Andrew Harris even losing his lead for a lap before normal service was resumed and he and Matty Key crossed the line first in Point Break followed by Joe Maclaughlin crewed by Holly Revear in his newly acquired Merlin Lady Anne, with John Adams and Sophie Harrison just managing to hold off a fast charging Tim Medcalf and Flora Laidlaw in Tim’s white and wide Merlin Seveneye to take third.  On the water it was a Merlin evening with the first five boats all Merlins before Matt P-J brought his Laser home in 6th place, but ominously close to the Merlins ahead of him.

And so it proved, Matt taking the evening on handicap followed by the 5 Merlins that finished ahead of him on the water with Stewart Colley the next Laser in 7th.  It was not a good night for the N18s, with Charles Fox and Robert Blakebrough the first of them in 12th place.

With 5 races sailed Matt P-J is still in the lead with Tim Medcalf second in his Merlins and Henry Defries and Carolyne Vines 3rd in his N18 Zephyr.  However there are still 4 races to go, 4 races to count and it is mathematically possible for Matt to be caught, particularly as some of the more successful contestants are still counting a DNC.

The evening was rounded off with a tasty trail supper from a new caterer, and thanks to those that helped serve the supper and drinks from the bar.  Jim Green and Eva Heap coped admirably in the box with the large number of contestants and Ian Ramage and Chris Wade ran the patrol boat.

The current standings are:

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

 

Important items in this issue

Please take particular note of the items under Catering and Paddleboarding

Lifting of Covid related restrictions

We are adopting a step-by-step approach to returning the Club to operating in the manner we would like it to, opening up as quickly as is considered prudent.  The initial steps are laid out in the Red Banner and Noticeboard on the website.  We have placed notices in the Clubhouse to assist you to remember how to use Phil’s Bar and to order food when it is available.  The Barbeque will be operating as frequently as possible and the presence of the Marquee means it will not be limited by rain.

Last Week  27th July to 3rd August

This week saw the first of our Summer Camps, organised by Tim Medcalf and run by Tom Bull with assistance from Ben Ramage, Iwan Drewett, Alden Horwitz and Caitlin.  They were not blessed with the kindest of weather but the participants seemed to have enjoyed themselves immensely despite this.  As a result of the violent gusts on Thursday, the Marquee suffered a minor tear but this was not worsened by Friday’s winds.

The fifth race of the G.W.Smith Trophy was held on Thursday in a gusty South-westerly wind.  This Series continues to have a good turn-out with a field of 21 entrants which included 9 Lasers, 9 Merlins and 3 N18s.  Andrew Harris, crewed by Matty Key, were first on the water, followed by Joe McLaughlin, crewed by Holly Rosevear and John Adams, crewed by Sophie Harrison.  However, Matt P-J in his Laser was ominously close on the water – we will see what the handicapping reveals.  See the report on the race by John Adams in News.

My thanks to Jim Green, assisted by Eva Heap, for running the race and to Ian Ramage and Chris Wade for manning the Patrol Boat.  Thanks also to Nicky Johnson and Sara Jamieson for serving up the suppers, produced by Anita, and Debra Horwitz, assisted by Alden, for running Phil’s Bar.

On Sunday, OOD Howard Thatcher postponed the start of the Laser race due to a complete absence of wind and the Lasers were started with the N18s to maintain the start sequence from that point.  Three Lasers entered with Chris Taggard winning from Ellen Schwartz and with Matt Valentine third.  Three N18s raced, Charles Fox, crewed by Ron Williamson, winning with Chris Pollard, crewed by Alistair Banks, second and Henry Defries, crewed by Carolyne Vines, third.  Ten Merlins raced with Tim Medcalf, crewed by Flora Laidlow, winning from Peter Mason, crewed by Nick James, second and Joe McLaughlin, crewed by Max, third.

My thanks to Howard Thatcher, assisted by Tim Ginn, stepping in to run the races and to Brian Corking for manning the Patrol Boat.  Thanks also to Team Horwitz for providing barbeque lunches from the Marquee with Chloe running Phil’s Bar.

Dutyman and Club Volunteer Duties

The Race Management team for each sailing day is published on the Dutyman System.  You are reminded that it is most important for Members who are allocated duties by Dutyman to confirm their availability to attend in Dutyman (in the dropdown list under ‘Sailing’ on the website) well in advance of their duty.  Otherwise we will have uncertainties and someone might have to stand-in for an absentee at short notice, as happened quite recently.  If a Member knows they can’t perform their allocated duty they should request a swap using the Dutyman swap facility.  It is the responsibility of individuals to find a substitute to do any duty which they are not able to do.  Please remember to check the Club’s Dutyman system to see if you are rostered for a duty.

Looking Forward

The G.W.Smith Trophy Series races will continue to be contested on Thursday evenings, 7:15 pm start (7:17 for N18s) through August.  For races later in August there will be a 7:00 pm start.  Information of when this occurs will be published nearer the time.

The Saturday Junior Sailing session will be taking a break during the midsummer period, with the sessions planned to re-start in September.

The Summer Points Series will continue this Sunday (8th August), using our previously established pandemic format.

We will be retaining this starting format for the present, as it reduces crowding on the foreshore, and it has also been found to reduce the workload for the OOD as there are fewer boats racing at any one time.  Any Member wishing to sail in the Handicap category on a Sunday is invited to share the start of the N18s.

Catering

We have arranged with Anita, a potential caterer, to see if we can develop a new model for providing food at the Club which will relieve our dependence on volunteers to cook.  She will, again, be producing a minimum of 15 meals, at £10 per head, on Sunday (8th August).  It will not be possible to increase the order, so it is essential that you book a meal in advance, preferably by Thursday, with Nicky Johnson at nickyjohnsontamesis@gmail.com.

For Sunday the proposed lunchtime menu is Spinach, Cheese and Ham Quiche, Leek and Bacon Quiche, Quinoa Salad, Camargue Rice Salad, Potato Salad and Leaf Salad

I encourage you to sign up for these meals if you like the sound of them.

Paddleboarding

The number of Paddleboards stored in the Boatshed has ballooned and it is important that owners identify their boards with indelible marker so that we can keep track of who is storing a Board and where.  We ask that Boards are identified before Wednesday, 18th August.  If you cannot get to the Club to identify your Board before then please make contact via the SUP WhatsApp Group.  After that date we will secure any unmarked Board and release it on identification.  The charge and charging regime for storage has been finalised by Management Committee Meeting on 2nd August and will be publicised next week’s Tammy Matters.

Leah Fraser will be running Paddleboarding Instruction and Paddleboard Yoga from the Club as a Concessionary Club activity.

Boat Licences

I would remind you that owners of all craft (including Canoes and Paddleboards) must have a river licence.  Quoted from the EA website:

‘If you’re paddling on the non-tidal section of the river (Cricklade Bridge to Teddington) yes, you need either a non-powered pleasure craft licence available from the environment agency here or join the British Canoeing here. Either of these entitles you to paddle on the non-tidal section of the Thames.‘  You might also want to check your insurance.

Resumption of Sailing and Use of Club Facilities (fuller details on the Noticboard)

Checking into the Club using the Covid QR code or signing in the book in the Undercroft is no longer mandatory but is encouraged.

The Changing Rooms are now open but Members are asked to allow social distancing to Members who request it.  There is sanitising spray available which should be used to clean down the benches.

Phil’s Bar has been re-opened but there must be no more buyers at the Bar than there are servers behind it.  For the immediate future there will be a limited number of marked positions in the Clubhouse for Members waiting to go to the Bar – additional customers must wait on the Veranda.

With the lifting of Covid related restrictions, we are looking to move, in a measured way, towards what used to be normality.  A full description of how we plan to operate is available on the Noticeboard and the Red Banner and will be updated as conditions change.  Use this link to read the Tamesis Noticeboard.

Car Parking

If you do not have a Club Car Park Ticket, or have mislaid yours, please get one from the stock held at Phil’s Bar – they are free to Members – just ask!

You are asked to put your name on the ticket and other helpful information, such as boat Sail No., if you are likely to be out on the water.

Club Boats

We now have a considerable number of Club Boats which are used for training and which are also available for Members who do not have their own boat, to use and to get more proficient.  Unlike most other Clubs which charge for hiring Club Boats, we like to provide these free to Members to encourage newer sailors to hone their skills and to support our training courses.

The boats do, however, suffer from wear and tear, damage and bits falling off accidentally.  We rely on those who borrow our Boats to let us know if one has suffered any depredations whilst they have been using it so that we can repair it and make it immediately available for the next person who wishes to use it.  If you are unable to tell a Club Officer of any faults which have arisen whilst you were using a Boat, then please report it on the Tamesis Club Sailing WhatsApp, or put a note in the Club letterbox, identifying the Boat and the problem.  Also, please pack Boats away properly when you have finished using them.

The Club Boats do incur costs to the Club in the form of Insurance Premiums, River Licences and general upkeep and we rely on you not to abuse the contribution that Club Members make to enable you to use the equipment.

Buoyancy Aids

The Club’s Buoyancy Aids are principally for the use of our Junior sailors but can be borrowed by Members who have not brought their own to the Club or Trial Sailors who don’t own one.  These are loaned free of charge but we do ask that you return them to where they came from when you have finished sailing.  It has been noted that, at the moment, some of the Buoyancy Aids are missing and others have been found scattered in random locations.  These are not cheap items and we ask you to take care of them.

Notices

Advice on casual sailing, for those who wish to go on the river when there is no organised racing, is on the Tamesis Noticeboard.

River conditions

For river flow and level readings at Kingston, which are relevant to our Reach, use Gaugemap at

https://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Detail/1249. or the Environment Agency site at

River Thames Conditions – Environment Agency.

Links for both these sites are also available via ‘Smithy On-line’, on the Home page of the Tamesis website.

Chris Pollard

Commodore

Thursday evening GW Smith Trophy – update 4

Here is John Adams’ latest report from another busy evening of racing.

Eighteen boats took part in the 4th race of the 2021 GW Smith series raced in a light southerly wind on a balmy summer evening.

Although slightly down on the previous week’s record turnout, there were plenty of boats on the water which led to a certain amount of discussion around the buoys, particularly Lensbury.  The light wind also gave plenty of opportunities for gaining or losing places and giving proof to the saying that the race is only over when you have crossed the finishing line.

This week Andrew Harris and Matt Key in their Merlin Point Break were not going to repeat the last minute loss on the line that they experienced the previous week and stormed into a lead they never looked like losing, adding colour to the evening with a well flown spinnaker.  Behind him places changed throughout the race but Tim Medcalf and Jennifer Falconer-Hall came through to second on the water, but with Matt P-J ominously close in third in the first Laser.

Andrew and Matt’s speed on the water also gave them the race on handicap ahead of the Lasers of Matt P-J and Jon Redding, with Tim and Jennifer finishing 4th.

After four races in this series, Matt P-J is beginning to take command at the top of the tree, but with 4 races to count and still another 5 races left in the series, there is still ample opportunity for that to change.

A wonderful evening gently subsided into the nigh lit by a golden moon as we feasted on a very tasty supper provided by team Horwitz with Chloe providing the drinks and celebrating the first use of Phil’s Bar for some time.  Thanks also to David Peregrine-Jones and Fleur Moree in the box and Chris Pollard and Stephen Lucas in the patrol launch.

Here are the latest results:

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

 

Important items in this issue

Please take particular note of the items under Catering and Paddleboarding

Lifting of Covid related restrictions

We are adopting a step-by-step approach to returning the Club to operating in the manner we would like it to, opening up as quickly as is considered prudent.  The initial steps are laid out in the Red Banner and Noticeboard on the website.  We have placed notices in the Clubhouse to assist you to remember how to use Phil’s Bar and to order food when it is available.

Last Week  20th to 26th July

The fourth race of the G.W.Smith Trophy was held on Thursday in a light southerly breeze.  The field of 18 entrants included 9 Lasers, 5 Merlins, 2 N18s, a Firefly and a Training-rigged Laser 2k. – Andrew Harris, crewed by Matty Key, were first on the water.  See the report on the race by John Adams in News.

My thanks to David P-J and Fleur Moree for running the race and to Steve Lucas for accompanying me manning the Patrol Boat.  Thanks also to Alden  leading Team Horwitz, for providing an excellent supper and Chloe for running Phil’s Bar for the first time since the first lockdown.

On Saturday a party was gathered to erect the marquee which will be used for the five Summer Camps arranged by Tim Medcalf.  My thanks to all of the team who gave of their time to do this very cheerfully, despite the impending rain which, fortunately, did not start until we had finished.

Sunday saw the Summer Series Class races, in a good northerly wind.   Six Lasers entered with Stewart Colley winning from Brendan Hills and with John Edmondson third.  Two N18s raced, Henry Defries, crewed by Carolyne Vines, winning on the water from Charles Fox, crewed by Robert Blakebrough.  Eight Merlins raced with Richard Harris, crewed by Emma McDonald, winning from Peter Mason, crewed by Richard Mason, second and Andy Harris, crewed by Matty Key, third.

My thanks to John Adams for running the race and to Peter Fryer and Jim Hamilton for manning the Patrol Boat.  Thanks also to Team Warwick-Haller for providing lunches with Chloe running Phil’s Bar.  After racing, Ros Warwick-Haller ran a sale of Club Clothing for Zoe Adams, who could not be there.

Dutyman and Club Volunteer Duties

The Race Management team for each sailing day is published on the Dutyman System.  You are reminded that it is most important for Members who are allocated duties by Dutyman to confirm their availability to attend in Dutyman (in the dropdown list under ‘Sailing’ on the website) well in advance of their duty.  Otherwise we will have uncertainties and someone might have to stand-in for an absentee at short notice, as happened quite recently.  If a Member knows they can’t perform their allocated duty they should request a swap using the Dutyman swap facility.  It is the responsibility of individuals to find a substitute to do any duty which they are not able to do.  Please remember to check the Club’s Dutyman system to see if you are rostered for a duty.

Looking Forward

The G.W.Smith Trophy Series races will continue to be contested on Thursday evenings, 7:15 pm start (7:17 for N18s) through July and August.

The Saturday Junior Sailing session will be taking a break during the midsummer period, with the sessions planned to re-start in September.

The Summer Points Series will continue this Sunday (1st August), using our previously established pandemic format.

We will be retaining this starting format for the present, as it reduces crowding on the foreshore, and it has also been found to reduce the workload for the OOD as there are fewer boats racing at any one time.  Any Member wishing to sail in the Handicap category on a Sunday is invited to share the start of the N18s.

On Monday 26th July the first of our five Summer Camps started.

Catering

We have arranged with a potential caterer to see if we can develop a new model for providing food at the Club which will relieve our dependence on volunteers to cook.  She will, for this trial period, be producing a minimum of 15 meals, at £10 per head, on both this coming Thursday (29th July) and on Sunday week (8th August).  It is possible that the order on each day may be increased if there is a good response to this.  It is essential that you book a meal for Thursday in advance , preferably by this Tuesday evening, with Nicky Johnson at nickyjohnsontamesis@gmail.com.

The principal menu for this Thursday will be Greek Lamb Pilaf with Orzo, followed by Summer Berry Crumble with cream.  There will be a vegetarian alternative by arrangement through Nicky.

For Sunday week the proposed lunchtime menu is Spinach, Cheese and Ham Quiche, Leek and Bacon Quiche, Quinoa Salad, Camargue Rice Salad, Potato Salad and Leaf Salad

I encourage you to sign up for these meals if you like the sound of them.

Paddleboarding

The number of Paddleboards stored in the Boatshed has ballooned and it is important that owners identify their boards with indelible marker so that we can keep track of who is storing a Board.  We ask that Boards are identified during the next three weeks (i.e. before Wednesday, 18th August).  If you cannot get to the Club to identify your Board before then please make contact via the SUP WhatsApp Group.  After that date we will secure any unmarked board and release it on identification.  The charge and charging regime for storage has not yet been finalised but will be determined in the next Management Committee Meeting on 2nd August.

Leah Fraser has expressed an interest in running Paddleboarding Instruction and Paddleboard Yoga from the Club.  She has been invited to run some trial sessions and we are currently determining the exact terms and conditions for her to run this enterprise.  We are hopeful that this can be arranged in the very near future.

Boat Licences

I would remind you that owners of all craft (including Canoes and Paddleboards) must have a river licence.  Quoted from the EA website:

‘If you’re paddling on the non-tidal section of the river (Cricklade Bridge to Teddington) yes, you need either a non-powered pleasure craft licence available from the environment agency here or join the British Canoeing here. Either of these entitles you to paddle on the non-tidal section of the Thames.‘  You might also want to check your insurance.

Resumption of Sailing and Use of Club Facilities

Checking into the Club using the Covid QR code or signing in the book in the Undercroft is no longer mandatory but is encouraged.

The Changing Rooms are now open but Members are asked to allow social distancing to Members who request it.  There is sanitising spray available which should be used to clean down the benches before and after use.

Phil’s Bar will be re-opened but there must be no more buyers at the Bar than there are servers behind it.  For the immediate future there will be a limited number of marked positions in the Clubhouse for Members waiting to go to the Bar – additional customers must wait on the Veranda.

With the lifting of Covid related restrictions, we are looking to move, in a measured way, towards what was normality.  A full description of how we plan to operate is available on the Noticeboard and the Red Banner and will be updated as conditions change.  Use this link to read the Tamesis Noticeboard.

Car Parking

If you do not have a Club Car Park Ticket, or have mislaid yours, please get one from the stock held at Phil’s Bar – they are free to Members – just ask!

You are asked to put your name on the ticket and other helpful information, such as boat Sail No., if you are likely to be out on the water.

Club Boats

We now have a considerable number of Club Boats which are used for training and which are also available for Members who do not have their own boat, to use and to get more proficient.  Unlike most other Clubs which charge for hiring Club Boats, we like to provide these free to Members to encourage newer sailors to hone their skills and to support our training courses.

The boats do, however, suffer from wear and tear, damage and bits falling off accidentally.  We rely on those who borrow our boats to let us know if a boat has suffered any depredations whilst they have been using it so that we can repair it and make it immediately available for the next person who wishes to use it.  If you are unable to tell a Club Officer of any faults which have arisen whilst you were using a boat, then please report it on the Tamesis Club Sailing WhatsApp, or put a note in the Club letterbox, identifying the boat and the problem.  Also, please pack boats away properly when you have finished using them.

The Club Boats do incur costs to the Club in the form of Insurance Premiums, River Licences and general upkeep and we rely on you not to abuse the contribution that Club Members make to enable you to use the equipment.

Buoyancy Aids

The Club’s Buoyancy Aids are principally for the use of our Junior sailors but can be borrowed by Members who have not brought their own to the Club or Trial Sailors who don’t own one.  These are loaned free of charge but we do ask that you return them to where they came from when you have finished sailing.  It has been noted that, at the moment, some of the Buoyancy Aids are missing and others have been found scattered in random locations.  These are not cheap items and we ask you to take care of them.

Notices

Advice on casual sailing, for those who wish to go on the river when there is no organised racing, is on the Tamesis Noticeboard.

River conditions

For river flow and level readings at Kingston, which are relevant to our Reach, use Gaugemap at

https://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Detail/1249. or the Environment Agency site at

River Thames Conditions – Environment Agency.

Links for both these sites are also available via ‘Smithy On-line’, on the Home page of the Tamesis website.

Chris Pollard

Commodore

Junior BBQ 2021

Saturday 17th July was the date for the much anticipated Junior Sailing and BBQ  which takes place on the Saturday before the schools break up.

The sun shone, the wind fluked around, and great fun was had by all, both on, in and off the water.  Toppers, Lasers, Laser 2k plus numerous SUPs turned out to take advantage of the weather.

This was followed by home made cake, tea and juice after the water activities, then later the bbq.  Participants brought food which was very tasty and enjoyed by all, especially the beef burgers, sausages and  marinated chicken accompanied by salads.  Great secret recipe coleslaw.

Andy and Nim are handing over as Junior Captain, so were presented with some craft beer and an beautiful bunch of flowers.

Thanks to all who were involved in organising the afternoon which extended well into the evening.

Thanks to Chris Wade for the photos – a selection below, and more on the Facebook page.

 

 

 

Thursday evening GW Smith Trophy – update 3

Here is John Adams’ update about the GW Smith series accompanied by pictures from Jonathan Key:

The third race for the Thursday evening 2021 GW Smith trophy was blessed with a good NNE wind, apart from around the Lensbury mark, where it dropped and became very variable in direction.  This led to many place changes as competitors saw and played the shifts to round and get away fast, or didn’t and were stuck watching boats go past on both directions.

The massive entry of 24 boats, with a number of juniors and new competitors to the series, was very good to see and there were many battles throughout the fleet.

Not least of these was that between Tim Medcalf and Jennifer Falconer-Hall in their Merlin Samanda and Andrew Harris and Matt Key in their Merlin Point Break which was only decided in Tim and Jennifer’s favour in the last few minutes of the race. Third on the water was another Merlin, Avenger with Ken Duffell and Matt Valentine.

However while the Merlins had the glory on the water, it was the Lasers of Jon Redding and Matthew Peregrine-Jones that topped the handicap results with Tim and Jennifer in third.

The overall results are a little skewed as the discards have not kicked in and so benefit those that have sailed the three races in the series to date.  However the current leader is Matt PJ, appearing to be repeating his all conquering performance in the earlier Saga series.  However there is still time and races to change that.

Thanks to Rupert and the race crew for administering one of the biggest races in terms of numbers that we have had for a long time, certainly on a Thursday evening.  The balmy evening was rounded off with a very tasty curry  and pavlova provided by Nim and Helen washed down with suitable tipples served by Megan and Josefine at the bar.

The series standings are:

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

 Lifting of Covid related restrictions

As there is a considerable proportion of our Membership who are inclined to the view that, with the currently rising infection rates and the appearance of new strains of the virus, lifting all the restrictions completely and immediately is unwise.  We are, therefore, going to adopt a step-by-step approach to returning the Club to operating in the manner we would like it to, but opening up as quickly as is considered prudent.  The initial steps are laid out in appropriate places in this edition of Tammy Matters and will be on the Red Banner and Noticeboard in due time.  I ask for your co-operation in this as we do not want to see the Club as an infection hub if we can help it.

Last Week  13th to 19th July

The third race of the G.W.Smith Trophy was held on Thursday in a decent breeze which held to the end of the race.  The field of 24 entrants included 11 Lasers, 7 Merlins, 3 N18s, an Albacore and 2 Training-rigged Laser 2ks. – what will the handicapping reveal?  See the report on the race by John Adams in News.

My thanks to Rupert Fletcher and Toby Powell-Blyth for running the race and to David Jones and Brian Harper-Lewis for manning the Patrol Boat.  Thanks also to Nim Harris and Helen for providing a most popular Curry supper and Josephine and Megan for running the Veranda Bar.

The Junior Sailing session on Saturday, the last before the summer break, was followed by the Junior Barbecue run by Nim and Andy Harris.  There was a bumper attendance and the party went on until after 9pm.  Clearly a much appreciated success.

Sunday saw the Summer Series Class races, in the faintest wind which came from a variety of directions – none of them predictable.   Five Lasers entered with Chris Taggart winning from Brendan Hills with Ros Warwick-Haller third.  Three N18s raced, Chris Pollard, crewed by Alistair Banks, just winning on the water from Charles Fox, crewed by Robert Blakebrough with Henry Defries, crewed by Carolyne Vines, third.  Nine Merlins raced with Andy Harris, crewed by Matty Key, winning from Peter Mason, crewed by Richard Mason, second and Tim Medcalf, crewed by Ed, third.

My thanks to Chris Balmbro and Sue Harris for running the race and to John Edmondson and James Berry for manning the Patrol Boat.  Thanks also to David and Alden for providing lunches with Nim and Helen running the Veranda Bar.

Dutyman and Club Volunteer Duties

The Race Management team for each sailing day is published on the Dutyman System.  You are reminded that it is most important for Members who are allocated duties by Dutyman to confirm their availability to attend in Dutyman (in the dropdown list under ‘Sailing’ on the website) well in advance of their duty.  Otherwise we will have uncertainties and someone might have to stand-in for the absentee at short notice, as happened quite recently.  If a Member knows they can’t perform their allocated duty they should request a swap using the Dutyman swap facility.  It is the responsibility of individuals to find a substitute to do any duty which they are not able to do.  Please remember to check the Club’s Dutyman system to see if you are rostered for a duty.

Looking Forward

The G.W.Smith Trophy Series races will continue to be contested on Thursday evenings, 7:15 pm start (7:17 for N18s) through July and August.

Andrew Harris’ regular Saturday Junior Sailing session will be taking a break during the midsummer period, with the sessions re-starting in September.

The Summer Points Series will continue this Sunday (25th July), using our previously established pandemic format.

We will be retaining this starting format for the present, as it reduces crowding on the foreshore, and it has also been found to reduce the workload for the OOD as there are fewer boats racing at any one time.  Any Members wishing to sail in the Handicap category on a Sunday is invited to share the start of the N18s.

On Monday 26th July the first of our five Summer Camps starts.  As a precursor to this, we will be erecting a marquee on the lawn for the use of the children attending the Camp.

Changes to Rules for Sailing as a result of the lifting of restrictions

Following the lifting of Covid restrictions, Masthead Buoyancy will no longer be required and the wearing of Personal Buoyancy will be optional during the Summer season.  If you are sailing when Patrol Boat cover is not available, Masthead and Personal Buoyancy is strongly recommended.

Sale of Club Clothing

We are holding a stock of Club Clothing which Zoe Adams, who currently manages this, is going to offer at Sale prices on Sunday 25th July.  Details of the available items and prices will be advertised on the Tamesis Club WhatsApp and can be bought by Card.

Catering

Nicky Johnson has been arranging for volunteers to provide as much catering as is possible and if anyone who has not been approached would be able to assist, please get in touch with Nicky.  In the immediate future, food will continue to be served in a box from the window to the right of the Veranda doors for those wishing to eat outside or will be brought to your table if you are seated in the Clubhouse.  We are looking to establish a means for publishing Menus and for Members to register their intent to partake of the food and possibly to order in advance of events.

Paddleboarding

Leah Fraser has expressed an interest in running Paddleboarding Instruction and Paddleboard Yoga from the Club.  She has been invited to run some trial sessions and we are currently determining the terms and conditions for her to run this enterprise.  We are hopeful that this can be resolved in the very near future.

Resumption of Sailing and Use of Club Facilities

Checking into the Club using the Covid QR code or signing in the book in the Undercroft is no longer mandated but is encouraged.

The Changing Rooms are now open but Members are asked to allow social distancing to Members who request it.  There is sanitising spray available which should be used to clean down the benches before and after use.

Following the lifting of Covid related restrictions we will be bringing the Clubhouse back into operation in a measured way.  We plan to adopt a cautious and incremental approach to lifting the restrictions as there are many Members who are uncomfortable with the concept of abandoning all caution, all at once.

Initially we will be adopting a policy of keeping the Clubhouse well ventilated.

Phil’s Bar will be reopened but there should be no more buyers at the Bar than there are servers behind it.  For the immediate future there will be a limited number of marked positions in the Clubhouse, for Members waiting to go to the Bar – additional prospective customers must wait on the Veranda.

With the lifting of Covid related restrictions, we are looking to move, in a measured way, towards what was normality.  A full description of how we plan to operate is available on the Noticeboard and the Red Banner and will be updated as conditions change.  Use this link to read the Tamesis Noticeboard.

Car Parking

Now the Club is busy again, the requirement for car parking is such that people can get blocked in by later arrivals.  If you do not have a Club Car Park Ticket, or have mislaid yours,  please get one from the stock held at Phil’s Bar – they are free to Members – just ask!

You are asked to put your name on the ticket and other helpful information, such as boat Sail No., if you are likely to be out on the water.

Club Boats

We now have a considerable number of Club Boats which are used for training and which are also available for Members who do not yet have their own boat, to use and to get more proficient.  Unlike most other Clubs which charge for hiring Club boats, we like to provide these free to Members to encourage newer sailors to hone their skills and to support our training courses.

The boats do, however, suffer from wear and tear, damage and bits falling off accidentally.  We rely on those who borrow our boats to let us know if a boat has suffered any depredations whilst they have been using it so that we can repair it and make it immediately available for the next person who wishes to use it.  If you are unable to tell a Club Officer of any faults which have arisen whilst you were using a boat, then please report it on the Tamesis Club Sailing WhatsApp, or put a note in the Club letterbox, identifying the boat and the problem.  Also, please pack boats away properly when you have finished using them.

The Club Boats do incur costs to the Club in the form of Insurance Premiums, River Licences and general upkeep and we rely on you not to abuse the contribution that Club Members make to enable you to use the equipment.

Buoyancy Aids

The Club’s Buoyancy Aids are principally for the use of our Junior sailors but can be borrowed by Members who have not brought their own to the Club or Trial Sailors who don’t own one.  These are loaned free of charge but we do ask that you return them to where they came from when you have finished sailing.  It has been noted that, at the moment, some of the Buoyancy Aids are missing and others have been found scattered in random locations.  These are not cheap items and we ask you to take care of them.

Notices

Rear Commodore (House)

This Flag Office remains vacant.  A description of what this Office entails is available and I would welcome an approach from anybody who might be prepared to take on this responsibility.

We are also looking for more volunteers, from both new and established Members, to assist with running Phil’s Bar and with catering.  If you, or any friend who is not a Member of the Club, would like to help with this, please contact a Member of the Management Committee.

Boat Licences

I would remind you that owners of all craft (including canoes and paddleboards) must have a river licence.  Quoted from the EA website:

‘If you’re paddling on the non-tidal section of the river (Cricklade Bridge to Teddington) yes, you need either a non-powered pleasure craft licence available from the environment agency here or join the British Canoeing here. Either of these entitles you to paddle on the non-tidal section of the Thames.‘  You might also want to check your insurance.

Advice on casual sailing, for those who wish to go on the river when there is no organised racing, is on the Tamesis Noticeboard.

River conditions

For river flow and level readings at Kingston, which are relevant to our Reach, use Gaugemap at

https://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Detail/1249. or the Environment Agency site at

River Thames Conditions – Environment Agency.

Links for both these sites are also available via ‘Smithy On-line’, on the Home page of the Tamesis website.

Chris Pollard

Commodore

Bill Warren

Bill Warren sadly passed away aged 94 years last month. He raced a National 12 and a Merlin in the 50s and 60s at Tamesis. He then went on to sail an XOD from Itchenor Sailing Club when Jane & Bill moved down to Bosham.

They were both very fond of Tamesis as this is where they actually met and Bill went on to be an honorary member. My Father’s company built and provided the spiral staircase at the club, which is apparently still in use today!

Thank you to Bill’s daughter Lindy Mitchell for providing the eulogy and the photos.

Racing on Sunday 11th July

Competitors were greeted by a flukey Southerly on Sunday, the course set in front of the club, the upper mark just below the Island and the lower mark just in sight.  There were plenty of holes in the wind, leading boats suddenly passed by those they thought they had left far behind.

Thanks to Jonathan Key for the photos.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hairy Salcombe Gin Merlin Rocket Regatta Week

Merlin sailors were treated to some very hairy conditions causing lots of thrills and spills together with some lighter winds.  The Regatta which took place from Sunday 4th to Friday 9th July.  One hundred and twenty boats took part – split into four flights, two flights starting in the morning and two in the afternoon, being rotated.

Three Tamesis Merlins took part – Joe McLaughlin and Sean Roberts in Sublime, Andrew Harris and Sarah Warren in Point Break, John Adams with Rupert Fletcher, Peter Johnson and Paul Jamieson in Precious.

Results were very mixed in the challenging conditions, the best single race result of 8th being obtained by Joe and Sean.

The competition was fierce, the majority of the boats were grp and very new, the helms and crews hotshots from other classes.

A great time was had by all despite the lack of sun, and several heavy rain showers.  Look forward to next year.

Full reports on https://www.salcombeyc.org.uk/

Start on Thursday afternoon

 

Andy and Sara

 

Joe and Sean

 

John and Peter