Tamesis Club

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

 

Eddy Simmonds

Eddy Simmonds funeral will be at 1:15 pm on Wednesday 8th December at Randalls Park Crematorium, Randalls Rd, Leatherhead KT22 0AG.  You are warmly invited to join the family at the service and also at Tamesis afterwards.  If you are planning to go to the Crematorium, they have asked that everyone wears a mask.

If you wish to make a donation in Eddy’s memory, please send to Kingston Hospital Charity:

https://www.khc.org.uk/support-us/donate/

A fuller Obituary will be posted on the Club website.

Membership Survey.

The survey has now closed and the results will be reviewed by a number of Members and Flag Officers. We will then present the findings to Club Members, most probably in a weekday Club Zoom session hosted by Kaan Yargici (who is also keen to show some stats from the website and Tammy Matters).

Last Week,  23rd to 29th November

Sunday 28th November. There was a river closure to accommodate a Royal Canoe Club event which was scheduled to be finished by 11:30.  In the event, from the communication established with their Race Officer, their finishing their race by 11:10 allowed our boats to launch in good time for an 11:30 Merlin start followed by the Laser start 5 minutes later.

There was a good Northerly wind with some gusts which gave challenging conditions from time to time.  Seven Merlins started and the race developed in a remarkably similar way to last week’s with Andy Harris, crewed by Matty Key, winning, having steadily increased his lead over Richard Harris, crewed by Emma McDonald, with Matt P-J, crewed by Leela Siebert-Patel, third.  Nine Lasers raced with Jon Redding coming first, despite capsizing in front of the box and being temporarily passed by Kaan, who finished second with Tim Medcalf third.

See the report by Tim Medcalf and pictures by Jonathan Key, in News.

My thanks to Joe McLaughlin as OOD assisted by Richard Mason in the Box and to Geoff Malseed and Holly Rosevear for manning the Patrol Boat.  Thanks also to Yann who ran Phil’s Bar.

This Week

On Sunday 5th December, at 9:30 am, there will be Santa SUP, a Paddleboard event run by Leah, our Paddleboard Captain.  A festive social paddle for all members & non-members alike. Details to follow but expect mince pies.  Christmas outfits or accessories onboard and a nice gentle group paddle trip from the Club. Dig out some tinsel, dust off the SUPs & put it in your diaries.

Also on Sunday 5th December, Alaphia will be cooking a mildly spiced Christmas chicken curry with coconut and coriander, served with a spinach and red lentil dhal, tamarind spiced aubergine, cauliflower, sweet potato and basmati rice.  This will be served with a cucumber and mint raita, mango chutney and poppadoms, followed by vanilla ice cream and a homemade chocolate sauce.  £12.50 pp.

Next Week

On Sunday 12th December there will be a festive glass of fizz and nibbles at lunchtime.  This will be preceded by the traditional Christmas Pudding races.  All Club Members are welcome to participate in what is to be our alternative to the Christmas Lunch for this year.  See the poster on the website which details the conditions.

As it is essential that we have a measure of how many people wish to come, booking must be done by clicking on the Eventbrite booking link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/212741404267 .  We also need to ask people to pay at the bar before the event and, whilst doing so, to advise how many children under 16 will accompany them.  There will be a visit for the children from Santa!! This means it is essential that we know how many children there will be!  We need to ask people to book by midnight on 4th December so that you can pay on Sunday 5th December.  Sadly there will be no Christmas Carol singing because of Covid.

Future Events

Our Winter Series will continue until the end of March.

Sunday Lunches. – 5th & 19th December 2021

We are trialling another new caterer and have arranged for these two Sunday lunches.

Vegetarian option can be available on request.

Booking will be essential by email to nickyjohnsontamesis@gmail.com

All feedback would be very gratefully received.

Officer of the Day and Race Management Training – Saturday 11th December

Jim Green and David Baker will be running another morning training course for those who would like to learn how to open up the Club for the arrival of Members and to prepare for and manage the racing programme for the day.  Having more people confident to take on Race Management eases the burden on those already competent and enables them to miss fewer races.  I encourage any member, sailing or non-sailing, to do this course as the outcome is of great assistance to the Club.  To get further details and apply to do the course contact Jim Green at jimgreenhcr@gmail.com.

Dutyman and Club Volunteer Duties

It is most important for Members who are allocated Duties by Dutyman to confirm their availability to attend in Dutyman (in the dropdown list under ‘Sailing’ on the website) well in advance of their Duty.  If this is not done we will have uncertainties and someone might have to stand-in for an absentee at short notice, as has happened in the past.  If a Member knows they cannot perform an allocated Duty it is their responsibility to request and establish a swap using the Dutyman swap facility.  Please remember to check the Club’s Dutyman system to see if you are rostered for a Duty.

Patrol Boat Training

I am very grateful to Simon Thompson who has been running Patrol Boat driving and crewing courses which have been very much appreciated.  This has provided the Club with an enhanced group of those capable of supporting our racing programme.

Paddleboarding

If anyone would like to join the Tamesis SUP WhatsApp group who hasn’t done so already here is the link:  https://chat.whatsapp.com/EVUYTsqSkGe0ioAyvgtXXF

Please do feel free to let other paddlers know when planning a SUP trip from the Club if you would like some paddling companions. It is always safest to paddle with someone else, particularly in winter, and it’s a wonderful season to get out and enjoy the quieter waterways.

Paddleboarders, please do not leave the Boatshed door open while you are out on the water.  It leaves the Boatshed insecure and there has been a spate of thefts from riverside locations recently.

Leah Fraser is running Paddleboarding Instruction and Paddleboard Yoga from the Club as a Club activity.

Works

The enclosure of the Gents undercroft is complete and the interior decoration and fitting-out is under way.  The intention is that we will install more racking for paddleboards in it and for the canoes which are currently in the main Boatshed.  It will also serve as a winter store for the Optimists.

There will be repairs to the campshedding in front of the Clubhouse where it is rotted and has been damaged.

Charles has made good the roof of the Starters Box above the Clubhouse roof.

Boat Park Clutter Reduction

The Club has separated those trailers which have been matched with owners.  There are still several unidentified ones.  Members MUST identify and mark up their trailers – otherwise they will be removed and either sold or scrapped.  There are also some unoccupied launching trolleys which may meet the same fate or be repurposed.  There are still some which are not identified.

Pilates on Monday mornings

On the first Monday of each month, Joanne Zorian-Lynn will be holding a Pilates class in the Clubhouse between 10:30 and 11:30.  This Pilates class is suitable for all ages and abilities as each exercise is offered and demonstrated for all levels.

To book a place contact Joanne on -Tel: 07754 686378

Noticeboard

Information on the following topics has been placed on the Noticeboard.

Resumption of Sailing and Use of Club Facilities, Car Parking, Club Boats, Boat Licences.

Advice on Casual Sailing, for those who wish to go on the river when there is no organised racing, is also on the Tamesis Noticeboard.

Chris Pollard

Commodore

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

 

Eddie Simmonds

I am very sad to have to report that Eddie Simmonds, who collapsed while visiting the Club on Sunday 3rd October, died peacefully on Monday 15th November.  He had been undergoing tests in Kingston Hospital over the intervening weeks.  Eddy was a long-time member and remained a regular at the Club after retiring from the National 18 Class.  His funeral will be at 1:15 pm on Wednesday 8th December at Randalls Park Crematorium, Randalls Rd, Leatherhead KT22 0AG.  You are warmly invited to join the family at the service and also at Tamesis afterwards.

If you wish to make a donation in Eddy’s memory, please send to Kingston Hospital Charity:

https://www.khc.org.uk/support-us/donate/

A fuller Obituary will be posted on the Club website.

Membership Survey,  a reminder!

Kaan sent out the link to the survey to Members via email and WhatsApp groups just after 10:50 on Friday 12th November. You have until mid-day on Sunday 28th November to complete it.  If you wish to say what you would like from the Club, this is your opportunity.

Remember, there are two £50 voucher prizes, one for the best survey response, i.e. with the best ideas and most thoughtful answers, etc. and the other prize will be drawn from a hat.

Please complete the survey as fully as you can, as the information gained from it could significantly influence what we, as a Club, concentrate our attention on in the future.

Once the survey has closed, the results will be reviewed by a number of Members and Flag Officers. We will then present the findings to Club Members, most probably in a weekday Club Zoom session hosted by Kaan Yargici (who is also keen to show some stats from the website and Tammy Matters).

Last Week,  16th to 22nd November

Saturday 20th November. Tim Medcalf took his son Henry and a Laser to Broadwater SC’s 2021 Laser Super Cup.  In a fleet of 18 which considers itself pretty hot, he came seventh.  The conditions were light and twitchy which probably meant that some of his Tamesis experience was useful!  He was also given the ‘Rising Star’ trophy and an open invitation was extended to other Tamesis Laser sailors who might like to come and race at BSC next year.  It’s good to see Tamesis Junior Sailors being exposed to racing elsewhere.  Many thanks to Stewart Colley for the loan of his Laser combi trailer which made the trip there and back so much easier.

Sunday 21st November. The day came with a gusty and swirling wind.  Seven Lasers raced with Jon Redding coming first, Tim Medcalf second and Brendan Hills third.  Two N18s started and Henry Defries, crewed by Ron Wilkinson, came first with Charles Fox second.  Five Merlins started and Andy Harris, crewed by Matty Key, won having steadily increased his lead over Richard Harris, crewed by Chris Martin, with Matt P-J, crewed by Leela, third.  See the report by Tim Medcalf and pictures by Jonathan Key, in News.

My thanks to Peter Mason as OOD assisted by Richard Mason in the Box and to Alexey Anatskiy and James Berry for manning the Patrol Boat.  Thanks also to David and Yann who ran Phil’s Bar.

This Week

Sunday 28th November. There is another River Closure for the Canoe Club’s 10 @ 10 race.  This Closure is effective up to 11:30 and it is hoped that all canoes will have finished by then.  Our race programme will be notified on the WhatsApp Groups nearer the day.

Next Week

Our Winter Series will continue until the end of March.

Future Events

On Sunday 5th December at 9:30 am, there will be Santa Sup, a Paddleboard event run by Leah, our Paddleboard Captain.  A festive social paddle for all members & non-members alike. Details to follow but expect mince pies.  Christmas outfits or accessories onboard and a nice gentle group paddle trip from the Club. Dig out some tinsel, dust off the sups & put it in your diaries.

On Sunday 12th December there will be a festive glass of fizz and nibbles at lunchtime.  This will be preceded by the traditional Christmas Pudding races.  All Club Members are welcome to participate in what is to be our alternative to the Christmas Lunch for this year.  See the poster on the website which details the conditions.

As it is essential that we have a measure of how many people wish to come, booking must be done by clicking on the Eventbrite booking link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/212741404267 .  We also need to ask people to pay at the bar before the event and, whilst doing so, to advise how many children under 16 will accompany them.  There will be a visit for the children from Santa!! Which means it is essential that we know how many children there will be!  We need to ask people to book by midnight on 4th December so that you can pay on Sunday 5th December.  Sadly there will be no Christmas Carol singing because of Covid.

Sunday Lunches. – 5th & 19th December 2021

We are trialling another new caterer and have arranged for these two Sunday lunches .

On Sunday 5th December, Alaphia will be cooking a mildly spiced Christmas chicken curry with coconut and coriander, served with a spinach and red lentil dhal, tamarind spiced aubergine, cauliflower and sweet potato, basmati rice.  This will be served with a cucumber and mint raita, mango chutney and poppadoms, followed by vanilla ice cream and a homemade chocolate sauce.  £12.50 pp.

Vegetarian option can be available on request.

Booking will be essential by email to nickyjohnsontamesis@gmail.com

All feedback would be very gratefully received.

Patrol Boat Training

I am very grateful to Simon Thompson who has been running Patrol Boat driving and crewing courses which have been very much appreciated.  This has provided the Club with an enhanced group of those capable of supporting our racing programme.  He will be running the final Patrol Boat training session of this current series on 27th November and, at the moment, some places on this course remain available.

Dutyman and Club Volunteer Duties

It is most important for Members who are allocated Duties by Dutyman to confirm their availability to attend in Dutyman (in the dropdown list under ‘Sailing’ on the website) well in advance of their Duty.  If this is not done we will have uncertainties and someone might have to stand-in for an absentee at short notice, as has happened in the past.  If a Member knows they cannot perform an allocated Duty it is their responsibility to request and establish a swap using the Dutyman swap facility.  Please remember to check the Club’s Dutyman system to see if you are rostered for a Duty.

Paddleboarding

If anyone would like to join the Tamesis Sup WhatsApp group who hasn’t done so already here is the link to do so:  https://chat.whatsapp.com/EVUYTsqSkGe0ioAyvgtXXF

Please do feel free to let other paddlers know when planning a Sup trip from the Club if you fancy some paddling companions. It is always safest to paddle with someone else in winter and it’s a wonderful season to get out and enjoy the quieter waterways.

Paddleboarders, please do not leave the Boatshed door open while you are out on the water.  It leaves the Boatshed insecure and there has been a spate of thefts from riverside locations recently.

Leah Fraser is running Paddleboarding Instruction and Paddleboard Yoga from the Club as a Club activity.

Works

The boatshed lighting has been upgraded and PIR switches installed to reduce the incidence of lights being left on inadvertently.  The result of this is that the new LED lights all come on when you walk into the Boatshed (it’s much brighter than before) and will go out automatically some time after the last person leaves.

The enclosure of the Gents undercroft is complete and the interior fitting-out is due to be started this week.

There will be repairs to the campshedding in front of the Clubhouse where it is rotted and has been damaged.

The roof of the Starters Box above the Clubhouse roof is being repaired.

Boat Park Clutter Reduction

The Club has separated those trailers which have been matched with owners.  There are still several unidentified ones.  Members MUST identify and mark up their trailers – otherwise they will be removed and either sold or scrapped.  There are also some unoccupied launching trolleys which may meet the same fate or be repurposed.  There are still some which are not identified.

Pilates on Monday mornings

On the first Monday of each month, Joanne Zorian-Lynn will be holding a Pilates class in the Clubhouse between 10:30 and 11:30.  This Pilates class is suitable for all ages and abilities as each exercise is offered and demonstrated for all levels.

To book a place contact Joanne on -Tel: 07754 686378

Noticeboard

Information on the following topics has been placed on the Noticeboard.

Resumption of Sailing and Use of Club Facilities, Car Parking, Club Boats, Boat Licences.

Advice on Casual Sailing, for those who wish to go on the river when there is no organised racing, is also on the Tamesis Noticeboard.

Chris Pollard

Commodore

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

 

Membership Survey,

Kaan sent out the link to the survey to Members via email and WhatsApp groups just after 10:50 on Friday 12th November. You have just less than 2 weeks to complete the survey, with the closing time being mid-day on Sunday 28th November.

Although the survey is long, none of the questions are mandatory and you can just answer those you wish to. The survey should take less than 30 minutes to complete.

Remember, there are two £50 voucher prizes, one for the best survey response, i.e. with the best ideas and most thoughtful answers etc. and the other prize will be drawn from a hat.

Please complete the survey as fully as you can, as the information gained from it could significantly influence what we, as a Club, concentrate our attention on in the future.

Once the survey has closed the results will be reviewed by a number of Members and Flag Officers. We will then present the findings to Club Members, most probably in a weekday Club Zoom session hosted by Kaan Yargici (who is also keen to show some stats from the website and Tammy Matters).

Last Week,  9th to 15th November

Sunday 14th November. The Remembrance Day racing took place in a light North-North-Easterly breeze.  The N18 start was delayed to allow a 2 minute silence to be observed at 11:00.  Nine Lasers raced with Stewart Colley coming first, pursued by Henry Medcalf, second, and Matty Valentine third.  It is good to see the young ones making their mark.  Two N18s started but Mal Warner had to retire as his crew, Beatrice Russ, became unwell, leaving Charles Fox, crewed by Robert Blakebrough, to finish as winners.  Seven Merlins started and Joe McLaughlin, crewed by Sean Roberts, won relatively narrowly from Richard Harris, crewed by Emma McDonald, with Andrew Harris, crewed by Chris Martin, third.  See the report and pictures from Carolyne Vines and Chris Wade, in News.

My thanks to Carolyne Vines as OOD assisted by Henry Defries in the Box and to Florian Krueger assisted by Jennifer Falconer-Hall for manning the Patrol Boat.  Thanks also to David, Yann and Jack who ran Phil’s Bar.

This Week

Saturday 20th November. There is another River Closure for the Teddington Head and our Car Park and frontage are, again, being managed by Walbrook to accommodate visiting Rowing Clubs’ equipment and to enable them to boat.  Although our boatshed will be accessible, casual sailing will not be possible as our section of the Reach is part of the Closure.

Next Week

Sunday 28th November. There is another River Closure for the Canoe Club’s 10 @ 10 race.  This Closure is effective up to 11:30 and it is hoped that all canoes will have finished by then.  Our race programme will be notified on the WhatsApp Groups nearer the day.

Future Events

Our Winter Series will continue until the end of March.

Patrol Boat Training

I am very grateful to Simon Thompson who has been running Patrol Boat driving and crewing courses which have been very much appreciated.  This has provided the Club with an enhanced group of those capable of supporting our racing programme.  He will be running the final Patrol Boat training session of this current series on 27th November and, at the moment, three places on this course remain available.

Dutyman and Club Volunteer Duties

It is most important for Members who are allocated Duties by Dutyman to confirm their availability to attend in Dutyman (in the dropdown list under ‘Sailing’ on the website) well in advance of their Duty.  If this is not done we will have uncertainties and someone might have to stand-in for an absentee at short notice, as has happened in the past.  If a Member knows they cannot perform an allocated Duty it is their responsibility to request and establish a swap using the Dutyman swap facility.  Please remember to check the Club’s Dutyman system to see if you are rostered for a Duty.

Paddleboarding

It has been noted that some Paddleboarders are leaving the Boatshed door open while they are out on the water.  Please do not do this.  It leaves the Boatshed insecure and there has been a spate of thefts from riverside locations recently.

Leah Fraser is running Paddleboarding Instruction and Paddleboard Yoga from the Club as a Club activity.

Works

The boatshed lighting has been upgraded and PIR switches installed to reduce the incidence of lights being left on inadvertently.  The result of this is that the new LED lights all come on when you walk into the Boatshed (it’s much brighter than before) and will go out automatically some time after the last person leaves.

The enclosure of the Gents undercroft is complete and the interior fitting out is due to be started this week.

There will be repairs to the campshedding in front of the Clubhouse where it is rotted and has been damaged.

The gales 10 days ago have caused damage to the roof of the Starters Box above the Clubhouse roof.  This will be repaired urgently.

Boat Park Clutter Reduction

The Club has separated those trailers which have been matched with owners.  There are still several unidentified ones.  Members MUST identify and mark up their trailers – otherwise they will be removed and either sold or scrapped.  There are also some unoccupied launching trolleys which may meet the same fate or be repurposed.  There are still some which are not identified.

Pilates on Monday mornings

On the first Monday of each month, Joanne Zorian-Lynn will be holding a Pilates class in the Clubhouse between 10:30 and 11:30.  This Pilates class is suitable for all ages and abilities as each exercise is offered and demonstrated for all levels.

To book a place contact Joanne on -Tel: 07754 686378

Noticeboard

Information on the following topics has been placed on the Noticeboard.

Resumption of Sailing and Use of Club Facilities, Car Parking, Club Boats, Boat Licences.

Advice on Casual Sailing, for those who wish to go on the river when there is no organised racing, is also on the Tamesis Noticeboard.

Chris Pollard

Commodore

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

 

Membership Survey,  We are finally ready to send out the Club survey which was promised earlier this year. Many thanks for your patience on this matter.

The link to the survey will be sent to members via email and WhatsApp later this week, with reminders sent via the WhatsApp groups. You will have around 2 weeks to complete the survey, with the last day being Sunday 28th November.

Although the survey is long, none of the questions are mandatory so you can just complete the questions you wish to answer. Given this, the survey should take between 2 minutes and 30 minutes to complete.

As an incentive for everyone, there are two £50 voucher prizes, one for the best survey response, e.g. has best idea, most thoughtful answers etc. and the other will be drawn from a hat. However, the main incentive to fill in the survey is, of course, to help us all make the best of the Club and to develop it for the benefit of all members, visitors, and users alike. Any and all responses to the survey will be welcome and most helpful.

Once the survey closes the results will be reviewed by a number of Members and Flag Officers. We will then present the findings back, mos probably in a weekday club Zoom session hosted by Kaan Yargici (who is also keen to show some stats from the website and Tammy Matters).

Again, many thanks for your patience and please look out for the survey email later this week.

Last Week,  26th October to 1st November

Saturday 6th November. Tim Medcalf, with Matty Key as crew, took Seveneye (3520) to Chichester and raced against several of the top helms in the Merlin Silver Tiller races.  He took first place in the Bronze fleet after a fairly wild day out. See his full report in News.

Sunday 7th November. The weather forecast for the Trowlock Trophy pursuit handicap race indicated that there was likely to be heavy gusting winds and so it proved.  The three N18s which had rigged, intending to compete, thought better of it and did not regret their decision.  There was a good turn-out with 17 boats starting, battling the conditions.  There were visiting Enterprises and Lasers from Queen Mary, Lensbury and Minima – the Enterprises proved too difficult to catch although Joe Mclaughlin, crewed by Sean Roberts, did their best with some spectacular spinnaker runs.  See the Report by Tim Medcalf, with a lot of excellent pictures from Carolyne Vines and Jonathan Key, in News.

My thanks to Simon Thompson as OOD assisted by Mal Warner in the Box and to Johannes Wagner assisted by Beatrice Russ who had a busy day in the Patrol Boat.  Thanks also to Nicky Johnson who ran Phil’s Bar.

This Week

Sunday 14th November. Winter Series 4.

Next Week

Saturday 20th November. There is another River Closure for the Teddington Head and our Car Park and frontage are, again, being managed by Walbrook to accommodate visiting Rowing Clubs’ equipment and to enable them to boat.  Although our boatshed will be accessible, casual sailing will not be possible as our section of the Reach is part of the Closure.

Sunday 28th November. There is another River Closure for the Canoe Club’s 10 @ 10 race.  I am currently finding out how much this will delay our race starts and will let you know in next week’s Tammy Matters.

Future Events

Our Winter Series will continue until the end of March.

Patrol Boat Training

Simon Thompson will be running the second Patrol Boat training session on Saturday, 13th November and there is the intention to run more courses.  Information on the final Patrol Boat training session on 27th November will be disseminated via the Tamesis Sailing WhatsApp Group.  At the moment, one place on the 27th November course is taken and three remain open.

Dutyman and Club Volunteer Duties

It is most important for Members who are allocated Duties by Dutyman to confirm their availability to attend in Dutyman (in the dropdown list under ‘Sailing’ on the website) well in advance of their Duty.  If this is not done we will have uncertainties and someone might have to stand-in for an absentee at short notice, as has happened in the past.  If a Member knows they cannot perform an allocated Duty it is their responsibility to request and establish a swap using the Dutyman swap facility.  Please remember to check the Club’s Dutyman system to see if you are rostered for a Duty.

Paddleboarding

It has been noted that some Paddleboarders are leaving the Boatshed door open and leaving the lights on while they are out on the water.  Please do not do this.  It leaves the Boatshed insecure and there has been a spate of thefts from riverside locations recently.

Leah Fraser is running Paddleboarding Instruction and Paddleboard Yoga from the Club as a Club activity.

Works

The enclosure of the Gents undercroft is complete and the interior fitting out will be done soon.

There will be repairs to the campshedding in front of the Clubhouse where it is rotted and has been damaged.

The boatshed lighting is being upgraded and PIR switches installed to reduce the incidence of lights being left on inadvertently.

Boat Park Clutter Reduction

The Club has separated those trailers which have been matched with owners.  There are still several unidentified ones.  Members MUST identify and mark up their trailers – otherwise they will be removed and either sold or scrapped!!!   There are also some unoccupied launching trolleys which may meet the same fate.  There are still some which are not identified.

Pilates on Monday mornings

On the first Monday of each month, Joanne Zorian-Lynn will be holding a Pilates class in the Clubhouse between 10:30 and 11:30.  This Pilates class is suitable for all ages and abilities as each exercise is offered and demonstrated for all levels.

To book a place contact Joanne on -Tel: 07754 686378

Noticeboard

Information on the following topics has been placed on the Noticeboard.

Resumption of Sailing and Use of Club Facilities, Car Parking, Club Boats, Boat Licences.

Advice on Casual Sailing, for those who wish to go on the river when there is no organised racing, is also on the Tamesis Noticeboard.

Chris Pollard

Commodore

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

 

Last Week,  26th October to 1st November

Thursday  28th October.  There was a well-attended Club Supper at which 27 Members and guests, enjoyed a Chicken in Red Wine Casserole and a Crumble served by Nicky Johnson and Sally and Adrian Warwick-Haller while David and Yann ran Phil’s Bar.  Supper was followed by a very informative and entertaining talk by Mark Laity, based around his book about 150 years of sailing on the Thames.  It was most illuminating in respect of the influence that river sailing has had on both the design of boats and the formation of the sailing organisations.

Saturday 30th October we held the postponed N18 Inland Championships Open Meeting for the Eighteen Cup and the Madison Cup, combined with the Club races for the Adelaide Cup and Tamesis Anchor Trophies.  The forecast foul weather had passed by about 11:15 leaving a fluctuating, in both strength and direction, southwesterlyish wind which led to good racing conditions, apart from the big wind shadow created by the school.  Thank you to Jim Green and Martin Thomas for being Race Officers and Caroline Stillwell for producing immaculate race sheets.  Also thank you to George and Matthew Barber for running the Patrol Boat all day and thanks also to Nicky Johnson who provided sandwiches for lunch, cake for tea and ran Phil’s Bar.  See the Report by Carolyne Vines in News.

While all of this was going on, Simon Thompson ran a comprehensive Patrol Boat course during which he provided lunchtime entertainment by capsizing a Laser 2k several times for practice.

Sunday 31st October. The weather forecast indicated that there would be little chance of racing even though an agreement had been forged with the Outrigger Canoes to allow us across their Half River Closure.  At 10:00 it looked as though the forecasters were right, with driving rain and monster gusts.  We almost abandoned at that point but the arrival of intrepid sailors and a distinct improvement in the weather allowed a combined Merlin and Laser start.  Two of the Lasers had exciting starts but the race was completed and the Canoes were happy with the way we avoided them.  Andrew Harris, crewed by Matty Key, brought their Merlin home first with Matty Valentine being first of the Lasers, followed closely by Alexey Anatskiy and not so closely by Nev Upton and Peter Impey.  Well done to all for braving the elements, which actually calmed down considerably during the race.  I should like to thank Joe Woods as OOD, assisted by Ken Duffell in the Box, with thanks also to Mark Gardner for running the Patrol Boat.  See the Report by Carolyne in News.

This was the day the RNLI Christmas stand was at the Club and despite the weather there was a good turn-out by Club Members in support of them.  The hoped-for appearance by the Teddington Lifeboat, unsurprisingly, did not materialise.  There was a Fish Pie lunch from Nicky Johnson which was well received and thank you also to David and Yann who, again, ran Phil’s Bar.

This Week

Saturday 6th November. There is a River Closure for the Kingston Small Boats Head and our Car Park and frontage are being managed by Walbrook to accommodate visiting Rowing Clubs’ equipment and to enable them to boat.  Although our boatshed will be accessible, casual sailing will not be possible as our section of the Reach is part of the Closure.  There will be a similar Closure on Saturday 20th November.

Sunday 7th November. The Trowlock Trophy Pursuit Race will be held.  This is a similar event to the Trafalgar Trophy and the start times for the various Classes are shown on the website.  There is a £5 Entry fee for adults or £2.50 for under 18s, payable by card on the day.

Future Events

Our Winter Series will continue until the end of March.

Saturday 20th November. There is a River Closure for the Teddington Head and our Car Park and frontage are being managed by Walbrook to accommodate visiting Rowing Clubs’ equipment and to enable them to boat.  Although our boatshed will be accessible, casual sailing will not be possible as our section of the Reach is part of the Closure.

Patrol Boat Training

Simon Thompson will be running the second Patrol Boat training session on Saturday, 13th November and there is the intention to run more courses.  Information on the final Patrol Boat training session on 27th November will be disseminated via the Tamesis Sailing WhatsApp Group.  At the moment, one place is taken, three remain, but this may change rapidly.

Dutyman and Club Volunteer Duties

It is most important for Members who are allocated Duties by Dutyman to confirm their availability to attend in Dutyman (in the dropdown list under ‘Sailing’ on the website) well in advance of their Duty.  If this is not done we will have uncertainties and someone might have to stand-in for an absentee at short notice, as has happened in the past.  If a Member knows they cannot perform an allocated Duty it is their responsibility to request and establish a swap using the Dutyman swap facility.  Please remember to check the Club’s Dutyman system to see if you are rostered for a Duty.

Paddleboarding

It has been noted that some Paddleboarders are leaving the Boatshed door open and leaving the lights on while they are out on the water.  Please do not do this.  It leaves the Boatshed insecure and there has been a spate of thefts from riverside locations recently.

Leah Fraser is running Paddleboarding Instruction and Paddleboard Yoga from the Club as a Club activity.

Works

The enclosure of the Gents undercroft is complete and the interior fitting out will be done soon.

There will be repairs to the campshedding in front of the Clubhouse where it is rotted and has been damaged.

The boatshed lighting is being reviewed and will be upgraded in the near future.

Boat Park Clutter Reduction

The Club has separated those trailers which have been matched with owners.  There are still several unidentified ones.  Members MUST identify and mark up their trailers – otherwise they will be removed and either sold or scrapped!!!   There are also some unoccupied launching trolleys which may meet the same fate.  There are still some which are not identified.

Pilates on Monday mornings

On the first Monday morning of each month, Joanne Zorian-Lynn  will be holding a Pilates class in the Clubhouse between 10:30 and 11:30.  This Pilates class is suitable for all ages and abilities as each exercise is offered and demonstrated for all levels.

To book a place contact Joanne on -Tel: 07754 686378

Noticeboard

Information on the following topics has been placed on the Noticeboard.

Resumption of Sailing and Use of Club Facilities, Car Parking, Club Boats, Boat Licences.

Advice on Casual Sailing, for those who wish to go on the river when there is no organised racing, is also on the Tamesis Noticeboard.

Chris Pollard

Commodore

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

 

Last Week  19th to 25th October

The Topper Open meeting was held on Saturday 23rd October.  The unfortunate combination of very little wind and a considerable stream made for difficult conditions.  However, the young sailors, including ten of our Club Juniors, for many of whom it was their first race, battled with the conditions and a result was forthcoming with Arun Seibert-Patel coming a creditable fourth against more experienced helms.  My congratulations to all those who took part.  Thanks are due to Andrew Harris as OOD, assisted by Nim in the Box, and to Rupert Fletcher and Jim Hamilton for running the Patrol Boat.  See Report by Carolyne Vines, who also ran the bar, in News.

On Sunday, we held the annual Trafalgar Trophy pursuit race.  At first it looked as if we were faced with similar conditions to those experienced by the Toppers the day before.  However, right on time a reasonable wind got up and although it was gusty and very variable in direction, good racing was possible and the Trophy was won by Richard Harris, crewed by Emma McDonald, with Peter and Richard Mason second, both these being Merlins, with Matt P-J, crewed by Kaan Yargici, third in their N18 Ultra.

I should like to thank Stewart Colley as OOD, assisted by Matt Dalton in the Box, with thanks also to George Barber and Sophie Harrison for running the Patrol Boat.  Thank you also to David who, again, ran Phil’s Bar.

This Week

Thursday  28th October.  There will be a Club Supper followed by a Talk by Mark Laity on his book about 150 years of sailing on the Thames.  An early start at 7pm for supper at 7:15 and the Talk at 8pm.  Details for booking have been promulgated on Tamesis Club Sailing WhatsApp Group.

Saturday 30th October. The postponed N18 Inland Championships, combined with the Adelaide Cup and Tamesis Anchor Trophies, will take place.  Patrol Boat training will also be conducted as scheduled.

Sunday 31st October. This is the day the RNLI Christmas stand will be at the Club and we are hoping for an appearance by the Teddington Lifeboat. There will be a Fish lunch available for which you should book with Nicky at nickyjohnsontamesis@gmail.com .

The Outrigger Canoe Club has a Half River Closure on our side of the river this Sunday but, with their collaboration, we will be running our Winter Series Races.  The time of the Laser Start will be delayed until the Canoes have passed the Club after starting – at approximately 10:50.  In discussion with the Outriggers, they will start, in two or three waves, approximately 5 minutes apart, from 10:30, from a line at the downstream end of Trowlock Island to reduce the likelihood of their clashing and running into our jetties. They will race up to Hampton Court and back.  Anticipated finish times, at the RCC pontoon, should be between 50 and 75 minutes after starting.  Coming back, they will be mostly in ones and twos – so much easier to avoid!  We will place an observer boat at the upstream end of our course to give warning of returning Canoes.

There will be an afternoon Outrigger race which will start from the RCC pontoon and go up to Ravens Ait and back.   Two or three race starts anticipated.

Future events

Our Winter Series will continue until the end of March.

Sunday 7th November. The Trowlock Trophy Pursuit Race will be held.

Patrol Boat Training

Simon Thompson will be running the first Patrol Boat training session on Saturday, 30th October and this course is already full.  There will be a second course, also full, on 13th November and there is the intention to run more courses and, again, information on these will be disseminated via the Tamesis Sailing WhatsApp Group.

Dutyman and Club Volunteer Duties

It is most important for Members who are allocated Duties by Dutyman to confirm their availability to attend in Dutyman (in the dropdown list under ‘Sailing’ on the website) well in advance of their Duty.  If this is not done we will have uncertainties and someone might have to stand-in for an absentee at short notice, as has happened in the past.  If a Member knows they cannot perform an allocated Duty it is their responsibility to request and establish a swap using the Dutyman swap facility.  Please remember to check the Club’s Dutyman system to see if you are rostered for a Duty.

Paddleboarding

It has been noted that some Paddleboarders are leaving the Boatshed door open while they are out on the water.  Please do not do this.  It leaves the Boatshed insecure and there has been a spate of thefts from riverside locations recently.

Leah Fraser is running Paddleboarding Instruction and Paddleboard Yoga from the Club as a Club activity.

The enclosure of the Gents undercroft is complete and the interior fitting out will be done soon.

Boat Park Clutter Reduction

The Club has separated those trailers which have been matched with owners.  There are still several unidentified ones.  Members MUST identify and mark up their trailers – otherwise they will be removed and either sold or scrapped!!!   There are also some unoccupied launching trolleys which may meet the same fate.  The target date for completion of this is 31st October – less than a week away.

Noticeboard

Information on the following topics has been placed on the Noticeboard.

Resumption of Sailing and Use of Club Facilities, Car Parking, Club Boats, Boat Licences.

Advice on Casual Sailing, for those who wish to go on the river when there is no organised racing, is also on the Tamesis Noticeboard.

Chris Pollard

Commodore

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

 

Eddy Simmonds, who collapsed whilst visiting the Club, remains in Kingston Hospital undergoing further tests.  He is keen to get home and may be released this week.  We wish him well and are keeping in touch with Marie about his progress.

Last Week  12th to 19th October

On Saturday, after the Canoes had finished their race, the Juniors sailed in very light winds, under the guidance of Griff Tanner and his group of helpers.  This was the last Junior Sailing session this year and it finished with an end-of-term gathering.  I should like to thank Griff and all his team of assistants through the year for giving their time for this important aspect of the Club’s activities.  Also thank you to all the parents and supporters who provided tea with cakes.  See News for a report by Griff.

On Sunday, the fleets raced in light winds which improved towards the middle of the racing period but then died again towards the end.  Six Lasers started and the race was won by Ros Warwick-Haller, with Henry Medcalf second and Chris Taggart third.  Three N18s raced and Henry Defries, crewed by Carolyne Vines, won with Chris Pollard, crewed by Alistair Banks, second and Charles Fox, crewed by Robert Blakebrough, third.

Ten Merlins set off just as the N18s came through the start line, which was unfortunate and not helpful to either fleet.  However, no disasters ensued and Richard Harris, crewed by Emma Macdonald, came first with Joe McLaughlin, crewed by Sean Roberts, second and Andy Harris, crewed by Matty Key, third.

I should like to thank Mike Adams as OOD, assisted by Jennifer in the Box, with thanks also to Rob Hatley and Hugh McLaughlin for running the Patrol Boat.  Thank you also to David who ran Phil’s Bar.

Future events

The Topper Open Meeting is to be held this coming Saturday, 23rd October.  There are 10 entries from Tamesis Club Juniors and there is a waiting list in the event of any Toppers coming free.  I wish our Junior Sailors who have entered good luck and I hope they enjoy themselves and have a good experience of racing at an Open Meeting.

Junior Sailing on Saturday afternoons will resume in the Spring.

24th October. The Trafalgar Trophy Pursuit Race.  Start times are published in Events in the information at the bottom of Tammy Matters.

7th November. The Trowlock Trophy Pursuit Race will be held.

Saturday 30th October. The postponed N18 Inland Championships, combined with the Adelaide Cup and Tamesis Anchor Trophies, will take place.  Patrol Boat training will also be conducted as scheduled.

Sunday 31st October. Our Winter Series continues and will run until the end of March.

There are a number of canoe and rowing events which will affect our racing on certain Sundays, of which we must take note.

Catering and Bar

Every endeavour has been made this year, by a small and very willing team of volunteers made up of Club Members and paid staff, to meet the many catering requirements.  However, the quality of our catering and whether we should be providing any has been questioned.  We will, therefore, not be providing further weekend catering whilst the way forward is being determined.  Phil’s Bar will, however, continue to be manned each Sunday.

Nicky Johnson has been filling the role of Rear Commodore House for eighteen months beyond the normal tenure as nobody has stepped forward to take the office but now feels it is time to step down.  We would like a Member to come forward and take up the mantle of Rear Commodore House or possibly for a group to share the role.  Anyone who feels they might consider this office and would like more information should contact me.

Until such time that the role is taken on, where there is an Open Meeting or equivalent please contact Nicky to discuss requirements and she will be very happy to help.  There are also two Club suppers/talks organised for 28th October 21 and 13th January 22 for which catering is already arranged and there is a plan to have a Christmas drinks party, details of which will be promulgated later.

Patrol Boat Training

Simon Thompson will be running the first Patrol Boat training session on Saturday, 30th October and this course is already full.  There will be a second course, also full, on 13th November and there is the intention to run more courses and, again, information on these will be disseminated via the Tamesis Sailing WhatsApp Group.

Dutyman and Club Volunteer Duties

The Race Management team for each sailing day is published on the Dutyman System and you will get an e-mail reminder about a week before your allocated Duty.  You are reminded that it is most important for Members who are allocated Duties by Dutyman to confirm their availability to attend in Dutyman (in the dropdown list under ‘Sailing’ on the website) well in advance of their Duty.  If this is not done we will have uncertainties and someone might have to stand-in for an absentee at short notice, as has happened in the past.  If a Member knows they cannot perform an allocated Duty it is their responsibility to request and establish a swap using the Dutyman swap facility.  Please remember to check the Club’s Dutyman system to see if you are rostered for a Duty.

Paddleboarding

The Paddleboards stored in the Boatshed need to be identified, using indelible marker, to allow us to keep track of who is storing a Board and where.  We have passed the date by which we had asked you to identify your Boards.  If you cannot get to the Club to identify your Board, please make contact with Leah via the SUP WhatsApp Group.  We will remove and store any unmarked Boards and release them on identification.  Brian Harper-Lewis has put a marker pen in a pot to the left of the rafter Paddleboard storage for you to mark your Boards.  The charges for Paddleboard Membership and Board storage have been finalised and will be published in the Membership area on the website.

It has been noted that some Paddleboarders are leaving the Boatshed door open while they are out on the water.  Please do not do this.  It leaves the Boatshed insecure and there has been a spate of thefts from riverside locations recently.

Leah Fraser is running Paddleboarding Instruction and Paddleboard Yoga from the Club as a Club activity.

The enclosure of the Gents undercroft is complete and the interior fitting out will be done soon.

Boat Park Furniture

Most boat owners prop their boats ‘bow up’ to promote drainage off their covers.  The props used vary from wooden trestles to old tyres.  There has been a recent case where a Member had a constructed prop removed from under the bow of his boat but he found it propping up another boat.  It is suggested that boat owners identify props with their name and boat number and it is requested that boat owners do not remove props from other people’s boats to prop up their own.

Boat Park Clutter Reduction

The Club has separated those trailers which have been matched with owners.  There are still several unidentified ones.  Members MUST identify and mark up their trailers – otherwise they will be removed and either sold or scrapped!!!   There are also some unoccupied launching trolleys which may meet the same fate.  The target date for completion of this is 31st October – less than two weeks away.

Noticeboard

Information on the following topics has been placed on the Noticeboard.

Resumption of Sailing and Use of Club Facilities, Car Parking, Club Boats, Boat Licences.

Advice on Casual Sailing, for those who wish to go on the river when there is no organised racing, is also on the Tamesis Noticeboard.

Chris Pollard

Commodore

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

 

It has been reported that while the Skipper of The River Thames Boat Project’s Thames Discoverer was embarking some elderly clients, a Club Member approached them and questioned their right to be on the Club premises.  The Club Management has allowed the Boat Project to moor alongside at Tamesis to embark clients provided the Boat Project staff have confirmed that their activities do not conflict with any of ours, as they had done for the day concerned.  Since many of their clients have mobility issues they have also been granted leave to park their client’s transport in our Car Park while they are on an authorised trip.

I can report that Eddy Simmonds, who collapsed whilst visiting the Club remains in Kingston Hospital undergoing treatment and it is intended to keep him in for another week at least.  We wish him well and are keeping in touch with Marie about his progress.

Last Week  5th to11th October

On Saturday, thirteen Juniors sailed in the Laser 2ks, Lasers and Toppers, in very light winds, under the eye of Griff Tanner and his assorted helpers.  The session ended with pierhead jumps to nowhere.  I should like to thank Griff and his team of Matt P-J, Chris Wade and Ken Duffel for giving their time for this important aspect of the Club’s activities.  Also thank you to Suzy Balmbro for the provision of tea with cakes.

On Sunday, the Laser and N18 fleets raced (if you can call it that) in the lightest and most frustrating of winds.  The hoped-for 6 laps for both fleets was shortened to one and a half to finish the races after about an hour.  The Laser race was won by Ellen Schwartz, with Henry Medcalf second and Chris Taggart third.  The N18 race was won by Charles Fox, crewed by Robert Blakebrough, with Chris Pollard, crewed by Alistair Banks, second and Henry Defries, crewed by Carolyne Vines, third.

The Merlins set off in the same dismal conditions which the other two classes had suffered but, just as the N18s finished, a decent breeze sprang up and they completed their race in good conditions.  Joe McLaughlin, crewed by Sean Roberts, came first with Andy Harris, crewed by Matty Key, second and David Baker, crewed by Jim Green, third.

I should like to thank Richard Harris as OOD, assisted by Emma McDonald in the Box, with thanks also to Brian Corking and Neville Upton for running the Patrol Boat.  Thank you also to Nicky Johnson who ran Phil’s Bar with the assistance of David and Yann.

Future events

Junior Sailing. will be held next week and the following week the season will come to its climax with the Topper Open Meeting on Saturday 23rd October.  Junior Sailing will resume in the Spring.

Sunday 17th October our Winter Series continues and will run until the end of March, with breaks on:

24th October, for the Trafalgar Trophy Pursuit Race and

7th November, when the Trowlock Trophy Pursuit Race will be held.

Saturday 30th October, The postponed N18 Inland Championships, combined with the Adelaide Cup and Tamesis Anchor Trophies, have been rescheduled.

There are a number of canoe and rowing events which will affect our racing on some Sundays of which we must take note.

Catering and Bar

Every endeavour has been made this year, by a small and very willing team of volunteers made up of Club Members and paid staff, to meet the many catering requirements.  However, the quality of our catering and whether we should be providing any has been questioned.  We will, therefore, not be providing further weekend catering whilst the way forward is being determined.  Phil’s Bar will, however, continue to be manned each Sunday.

Nicky Johnson has been filling the role of Rear Commodore House for eighteen months beyond the normal tenure as nobody has stepped forward to take the office but she now feels it is time to step down.  We would like a Member to come forward and take up the mantle of Rear Commodore House or possibly for a group to share the role.  Anyone who feels they might consider this office and would like more information should contact me.

Until such a time that the role is taken on, where there is an Open Meeting or equivalent please contact Nicky to discuss requirements and she will be very happy to help.  There are also two club suppers/talks organised for 28th October 21 and 13th January 22 for which catering is already arranged and there is a plan to have a Christmas drinks party, details of which will be promulgated later.

Patrol Boat Training

Simon Thompson will be running the first Patrol Boat training session on Saturday, 30 October and this course is already full.  There will be a second course, also full, on 13th November and there is the intention to run more courses and, again, information on these will be disseminated via the Tamesis Sailing WhatsApp Group.

Dutyman and Club Volunteer Duties

The Race Management team for each sailing day is published on the Dutyman System and you will get an e-mail reminder about a week before your allocated Duty.  You are reminded that it is most important for Members who are allocated Duties by Dutyman to confirm their availability to attend in Dutyman (in the dropdown list under ‘Sailing’ on the website) well in advance of their Duty.  Otherwise we will have uncertainties and someone might have to stand-in for an absentee at short notice, as has happened.  If a Member knows they cannot perform an allocated Duty it is their responsibility to request and establish a swap using the Dutyman swap facility.  Please remember to check the Club’s Dutyman system to see if you are rostered for a Duty.

Paddleboarding

The Paddleboards stored in the Boatshed need to be identified, using indelible marker, to allow us to keep track of who is storing a Board and where.  We have passed the date by which we had asked you to identify your Boards.  If you cannot get to the Club to identify your Board, please make contact with Leah via the SUP WhatsApp Group.  We will remove and store any unmarked Boards and release them on identification.  Brian Harper-Lewis has put a marker pen in a pot to the left of the rafter Paddleboard storage for you to mark your Boards.  The charges for Paddleboard Membership and Board storage have been finalised and will be published in the Membership area on the website.

It has been noted that some Paddleboarders are leaving the Boatshed door open whilst they are out on the water.  Please do not do this.  It leaves the Boatshed insecure and there has been a spate of thefts from riverside locations recently.

Leah Fraser is running Paddleboarding Instruction and Paddleboard Yoga from the Club as a Club activity.

The enclosure of the Gents undercroft is complete and the interior fitting out will be done soon.

Boat Park Furniture

Most boat owners prop their boats ‘bow up’ to promote drainage off their covers.  The props used vary from wooden trestles to old tyres.  There has been a recent case where a Member had a constructed prop removed from under the bow of his boat but he found it propping up another boat.  It is suggested that boat owners identify props with their name and boat number and it is requested that boat owners do not remove props from other people’s boats to prop up their own.

Boat Park Clutter Reduction

The Club has separated those trailers which have been matched with owners, but there are still several unidentified ones – Members MUST identify and mark up their trailers – otherwise they will be removed and either sold or scrapped!!!   There are also some unoccupied launching trolleys which may meet the same fate.  Target date for completion of this is the end of October.

Noticeboard

Information on the following topics has been placed on the Noticeboard.

Resumption of Sailing and Use of Club Facilities, Car Parking, Club Boats, Boat Licences.

Advice on Casual Sailing, for those who wish to go on the river when there is no organised racing, is also on the Tamesis Noticeboard.

Chris Pollard

Commodore

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

 

Last week John Tholstrup, husband of Margaret who used to crew for Ken Thatcher in his Firefly, died suddenly and unexpectedly.  He has not been to the Club in recent times but may be known to Members of long standing.  Further information will be posted when it becomes available.

I also have to report that Eddy Simmonds collapsed whilst visiting the Club during the Laser Barometer meeting.  Ros Warwick-Haller gave assistance immediately, using the Club’s defibrillator which is kept just inside the main entrance.  An Ambulance was summoned which arrived very quickly (about 6 minutes) followed a little later by another Paramedic.  Eddy is currently in Kingston Hospital undergoing tests and is reported to be.

 

Last Week  28th September to 4th October

On Saturday, the scheduled N18 Inland Championships incorporating the postponed Adelaide Cup and Tamesis Anchor competitions were postponed on the basis of a forecast of very gusty winds.  In the event there was also torrential rain in the afternoon.  However, seven doughty Juniors sailed on under the enthusiastic tutelage of Griff Tanner.  Although very wet, it is understood that they were still smiling at the end of the session.  As a reward they were supplied with cakes for tea by Suzy Balmbro and I should like to thank Griff and his team of Matt P-J, Matt Kearney, Chris Wade and Lynn for braving the elements.

On Sunday, the Laser Open Meeting for the Barometer Trophy went ahead as planned with 16 of the 18 entrants, two from Lensbury SC, starting.  Their first race was held in very light and fickle winds which strengthened for the second race whilst still being variable in direction.  The wind strengthened further for the third race, after lunch, and for good measure the heavens opened for a short time.  Eight of the entrants completed the three races and the Trophy was won by Matt P-J, for the third year running, with Matt Jones, a visitor from Lensbury, second and Matty Key third.  It was really encouraging to see three of our Junior sailors taking part in an Open event as, in addition to Matty Key, Mattie Valentine and Henry Medcalf also completed the full three race programme.  This bodes well for the future.  A News article by Tim Medcalf will be available on the website soon.

I should like to thank Tim Medcalf as OOD, assisted by Anne Bayne in the Box, with thanks also to Clive Mence and Stephen Lucas for running the Patrol Boat.  Thank you also to the Warwick-Haller team, Sally, Adrian and Ros, who came in early to make the delicious sandwiches for lunch and to Josephine and David who ran Phil’s Bar.

Future events

Sunday 10th October our Winter Series starts and it will then run until the end of March, with breaks on:

24th October, for the Trafalgar Trophy Pursuit Race and

7th November when the Trowlock Trophy Pursuit Race will be held.

There are a number of canoe and rowing events which will affect our racing on some Sundays which we must take note of.

Patrol Boat Training

Simon Thompson will be running the first Patrol Boat training session on Saturday 30 October and this course is already full.  However, there is the intention to run more courses and information on these will be disseminated via Tammy Matters and the Tamesis Sailing WhatsApp Group.

Dutyman and Club Volunteer Duties

The Race Management team for each sailing day is published on the Dutyman System and you will get an e-mail reminder about a week before your allocated Duty.  You are reminded that it is most important for Members who are allocated Duties by Dutyman to confirm their availability to attend in Dutyman (in the dropdown list under ‘Sailing’ on the website) well in advance of their Duty.  Otherwise we will have uncertainties and someone might have to stand-in for an absentee at short notice, as has happened.  If a Member knows they cannot perform an allocated Duty it is their responsibility to request and establish a swap using the Dutyman swap facility.  Please remember to check the Club’s Dutyman system to see if you are rostered for a Duty.

Paddleboarding

The Paddleboards stored in the Boatshed need to be identified, using indelible marker, to allow us to keep track of who is storing a Board and where.  We have passed the date by which we asked you to identify your Boards.  If you cannot get to the Club to identify your Board, please make contact with Leah via the SUP WhatsApp Group.  We will remove and store any unmarked Boards and release them on identification.  Brian Harper-Lewis has put a marker pen in a pot to the left of the rafter Paddleboard storage for you to mark your Boards.  The charges for Paddleboard Membership and Board storage have been finalised and will be published in the Membership area on the website.

It has been noted that some Paddleboarders are leaving the Boatshed door open whilst they are out on the water.  Please do not do this.  It leaves the Boatshed insecure and there has been a spate of thefts from riverside locations recently.

Leah Fraser is running Paddleboarding Instruction and Paddleboard Yoga from the Club as a Concessionary Club activity.

Boat Park Furniture

Most boat owners prop their boats ‘bow up’ to promote drainage off their covers.  The props used vary from wooden trestles to old tyres.  There has been a recent case where a Member had a constructed prop removed from under the bow of his boat but he found it propping up another boat.  It is suggested that boat owners identify props with their name and boat number and it is requested that boat owners do not remove props from other people’s boats to prop up their own.

Boat Park Clutter Reduction

The Club has separated those trailers which have been matched with owners, but there are still several unidentified ones – Members MUST identify and mark up their trailers – otherwise they will be removed and either sold or scrapped!!!   There are also some unoccupied launching trolleys which may meet the same fate.  Target date for completion of this is the end of October.

Noticeboard

Information on the following topics has been placed on the Noticeboard.

Resumption of Sailing and Use of Club Facilities, Car Parking, Club Boats, Boat Licences.

Advice on Casual Sailing, for those who wish to go on the river when there is no organised racing, is also on the Tamesis Noticeboard.

Chris Pollard

Commodore

Tammy Matters

Welcome to any new readers of Tammy Matters

Scroll to the end of this e-mail to see the News articles

 

Last Week  21st to 27th September

On Saturday, the A Raters Annual Regatta started in near calm conditions which resulted in the scheduled second race of the day being abandoned.  However, Tamesis Junior Sailors were given the opportunity for a ‘Ride a Rater’ experience which was enjoyed by 10 of their number.  See the report by Tim Medcalf in News.

I should like to thank Mal Warner as OOD, ably assisted by Alistair Banks in the Box, with thanks also to John Edmondson, Brendan Hills, Nicola Siebert-Patel and James Berry for running the patrol boats.

At lunchtime there was a special ploughman’s lunch, provided by Nicky Johnson, and cakes, both of which were very well received.  Thanks also to Carolyne and Nicky for running Phil’s Bar.

On Sunday the very light winds were still around at the start of racing as the A Raters continued their Regatta with one morning race around a course below Stevens Ait and two more in much improved conditions, going above the Ait after the Tamesis Summer Series races had finished.  The competition was, as ever, fierce and the result close with Paul Browning, crewed by Justin Dunn and Graham Bartholomew in Osprey, taking the Braganza Bowl from Jonny Smith, crewed by Al Smith, Adrian Hart and Steve Bartlett in Scamp.  However, Jonny Smith turned the tables, winning the Yates Cup.  See the Report by Carolyne Vines in News.

During the morning the normal Tamesis Summer Series races were interleaved with the Rater Races.  Three Lasers started in very light airs which gradually picked up.  After a very close race, Matty Key beat Chris Taggard by the smallest of margins with Alexey Anatsky third.  Four N18s, joined by Ed Medcalf in a Topper in the Handicap race, started in improving winds and, after a fluctuating race, Chris Pollard, crewed by Alistair Banks, won with Charles Fox, crewed by Robert Blakebrough, second and Mal Warner, crewed by Beatrice Russ third.  Henry Defries, crewed by Carolyne Vines, fell victim to a main halyard breakage.  By the time the eight Merlins started there was a reasonably strong, though typically shifty, wind and a spirited race resulted in a win for Richard Harris, crewed by Emma MacDonald, with Peter Mason, crewed by Richard, second and Tim Medcalf, crewed by Veronique, third.

I would like to thank Marcus Chavasse as OOD, assisted by Peter Impey in the Box, with thanks also to Peter Bide, Geoff Bayliss, Brian Harper-Lewis and John Kemp for running the Patrol Boats.  Thank you also to Nicky Johnson, David Altun and Yann Sydow (a new member of the team) who made delicious sandwiches, toasties and ploughman’s and Nicky and David who ran Phil’s Bar

Having competed in the morning races at Tamesis, Tim Medcalf, now crewed by Matty Key, entered the Minima YC Long Distance Race, which they won, coming away with the unusual and handsome Kingston Trophy.  Well done!  See the report by Tim Medcalf in News.

Future events

Saturday 2nd October.

The N18 Inland Championships incorporating the postponed Adelaide Cup and Tamesis Anchor competitions will be held.  The Notice of Race has been published.

Sunday 3rd October.

Tamesis Club Laser Barometer Open Meeting.

Anyone who is able to help with this Sunday’s lunchtime catering or Phil’s Bar, please contact Nicky Johnson on nickyjohnsontamesis@gmail.com as soon as possible.

Sunday 10th October our Winter Series starts and it will then run until the end of March, with breaks on:

24th October, for the Trafalgar Trophy Pursuit Race and

7th November when the Trowlock Trophy Pursuit Race will be held.

Training

We are looking into the possibility of offering Patrol Boat training in the near future to increase our pool of potential Patrol Boat drivers.  More information on this at a later date.

Catering

We are continuing to determine whether we can develop a new model for providing food at the Club which will relieve our dependence on volunteers to cook.

Dutyman and Club Volunteer Duties

The Race Management team for each sailing day is published on the Dutyman System and you will get an e-mail reminder about a week before your allocated Duty.  You are reminded that it is most important for Members who are allocated Duties by Dutyman to confirm their availability to attend in Dutyman (in the dropdown list under ‘Sailing’ on the website) well in advance of their Duty.  Otherwise we will have uncertainties and someone might have to stand-in for an absentee at short notice, as has happened.  If a Member knows they cannot perform an allocated duty it is their responsibility to request and establish a swap using the Dutyman swap facility.  Please remember to check the Club’s Dutyman system to see if you are rostered for a Duty.

Paddleboarding

The Paddleboards stored in the Boatshed need to be identified, using indelible marker, to allow us to keep track of who is storing a Board and where.  We have passed the date by which we asked you to identify your Boards.  If you cannot get to the Club to identify your Board, please make contact with Leah via the SUP WhatsApp Group.  We will remove and store any unmarked Boards and release them on identification.  Brian Harper-Lewis has put a marker pen in a pot to the left of the rafter Paddleboard storage for you to mark your Boards.  The charges for Paddleboard Membership and Board storage have been finalised and will be published in the Membership area on the website.

It has been noted that some Paddleboarders are leaving the Boatshed door open whilst they are out on the water.  Please do not do this.  It leaves the Boatshed insecure and there has been a spate of thefts from riverside locations recently.

Leah Fraser is running Paddleboarding Instruction and Paddleboard Yoga from the Club as a Concessionary Club activity.

Boat Park Clutter Reduction

The Club has separated those trailers which have been matched with owners, but there are still several unidentified ones – Members MUST identify and mark up their trailers – otherwise they will be removed and either sold or scrapped!!!   There are also some unoccupied launching trolleys which may meet the same fate.  Target date for completion of this is the end of October.

Noticeboard

Information on the following topics has been placed on the Noticeboard.

Resumption of Sailing and Use of Club Facilities, Car Parking, Club Boats, Boat Licences.

Advice on Casual Sailing, for those who wish to go on the river when there is no organised racing, is also on the Tamesis Noticeboard.

Chris Pollard

Commodore